Can I place my PB Hard Drive w/info into a newer model Powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by joepunk, Mar 8, 2014.

1. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I am about to purchase another Powerbook G4 15" to replace my older and dying one. The screen is displaying many lines and also goes completely black. I think I pinched it and possibly the graphics are dying as well.

My current machine is a PB5,6 A1095 M9422LL/A 1.5GHz/250GB HD/2GBram/128vram. The newer machine is a PB5,6 A1106 1.5GHz.

The seller says the battery doesn't hold a charge anymore. That's fine. From the looks of things I can reuse my ram and battery.

My question to all of you is can I take my 250GB HD and just drop it into the "newer" PB and hope for everything to work out well or am I going to have to do some other tricks that I know of to move my stuff?

Thanks.

2. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Yes, that will work fine, if you mean you just want to swap out HDDs.
    Also, If you have a firewire cable, you can transfer data with the new PB in target disk mode using CarbonCopyCloner to clone your drive, but I'm guessing the newer PBs drive is smaller than your current one.
    That's one cool thing about Macs that PCs can't do: you can just swap out hard drives and everything will 'just work'. You can even take the HD out of a PowerBook G4 running Leopard and put it in an Intel Macbook capable of running Leopard, but that's only because Leopard has completely universal binaries.

3. AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

Yes: The only problem you will ever face with doing this is if the installed OS version is too old for the model you are using, and any version of Leopard, and most (if not all) versions of Tiger are immune to this problem.

4. joepunk thread starter macrumors 68030

joepunk

Great thanks for the replies

I'm using Leopard. I hope this transaction goes smoothly and the computer lasts. If not I'll by out $85.

5. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Before transplanting, try if the new PowerBook has a working sleep-function (both, when you close the lid or when you choose "sleep" from menue). Otherwise, you will have transplanted the HDD and afterwards find out, that sleep is not functioning rigth and you ask yoursefl, if you have broken anything.

For further assistance also see ifixit.com for a guide.

6. joepunk thread starter macrumors 68030

joepunk

Will check the sleep functions. I had a similar problem trying to put my current powerbook to sleep with a dead battery.