Can I place Widgets [ iStatPro etc ] on my desktop ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by M5RahuL, Jul 6, 2012.

1. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I'm wondering if I can drag or place widgets like iStatpro on my main desktop, not the dashboard ?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they are designed to work in Dashboard. There may be some apps that allow both.

3. M5RahuL thread starter macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Ah, just the person I was hoping would chime in :D

Are you aware of any apps that would enable this feature ? It sucks to go back to the dashboard to check iStats every time... :( And, SMCFancontrol doesn't seem to be working with the new MBPs [ Ivy Bridge ] !

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's really quite convenient if you set up a hot corner. A quick swipe or move of the mouse gets you there, and the same to get back. For me, it's far more convenient than having something on the desktop that I'd have to move windows out of the way to see. If you use a hot corner to hide all windows and see the desktop, it's the same amount of work as viewing Dashboard.

I've never used or recommended smcFanControl. Your Mac can effectively manage temps and fans without the need for user or 3rd party app intervention.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Depending on what types of things you want to display, other than iStat stuff as GGJstudios pointed out, you should check out the Your Geektool Scripts thread.

There is lot's of cool things you can do and display on your desktop. For example, here is my current desktop:
    [​IMG]

6. M5RahuL thread starter macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

That's pretty cool... and creepy [Mayan prediction lol]

But, yeah I was thinking about GeekTool, but just wanted a drag/drop option.. Oh well!!

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

O/T: That's there as a joke. I don't actually believe in it. :cool:

8. M5RahuL thread starter macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

9. tweaknmod macrumors regular

They forgot a step. After you paste the command into terminal and hit enter, type: killall Dock
    then hit enter again.
    NOW go to your dashboard, drag widget and while still holding the mouse hit f12.

voila!

----------

What I'm wondering is, when we have the widget on the desktop, how do you have it stay on the desktop, so it doesn't float on top. "Amnesty" used to do this, but it doesn't seem to be working since Lion...