Can I play Guild Wars 2 without Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pajamaboi111, Jul 10, 2013.

1. pajamaboi111 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about trying Guild Wars 2 since it now has an OS X client, and I was wondering if my computer could actually run it. I don't mind being on the lowest possible settings as long as gameplay is still smooth.
    I have the 15 inch MBP early 2011 model.
    Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6490M
    OS X 10.8.4

2. Chub macrumors member

My guess would be that it should run just as well under OSX as it should under Windows. You probably couldn't max the game out but I would imagine that you could play it, maybe on lower settings.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

That's not true for 99.9% of games that are ported from Windows, at least for titles released in the last 2-3 years. GW2 will likely be no different. Feral and Aspyr, the two big OS X porting firms (though not the ones who did GW2), do the best they can, but there are limitations that simply cannot be worked around, at least with OS X in its current state.

The Radeon 6490M is going to hold you back quite a bit, but it should at least be playable at low settings. You could try 1440x900 resolution (which I assume is native for your machine), but you might have to drop that to 1280x800.

4. GammaRayToaster macrumors newbie

short answer: yes on native resolution, but with very low details
    I have a 2011 15 inch MBP with 6750m that runs GW2 with medium details at ~30fps.
    GW2 performance is way worse on OS X, because it's not a real port to OS X but only a wrapper.
    You could have a much better experience with a Bootcamp installation, sadly.

5. pajamaboi111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I don't have access to my Windows CD for another month (I'm on vacation essentially), so I was just wondering if it would at least be playable on the lowest possible settings so I could get it now. Then when I got my Windows CD I could go ahead and use Bootcamp.