Can I play iOS Games on OS X Lion? Is So, How?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by PeteJames, Jan 26, 2012.

1. PeteJames macrumors regular

PeteJames

Can I play IOS Games on OSX Lion? Is So, How? Would be cool to be able to play - would open up so much software to laptop users.
    Thanks

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

No

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It would be nice if you could do this... alas, since iOS apps (games included) are compiled for ARM, and Mac apps compiled for Intel, it's not going to work too well. Apple does have an iOS simulator they make available with their developer tools - Xcode. That MIGHT work but definitely won't run at full speed, even if it does.

4. PeteJames thread starter macrumors regular

PeteJames

Thanks for letting me know. Would be good if they integrated it at some point in the future. Seems the way forward. Would have thought someone would have made an ios emulator or something at least.

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

6. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

How would you play an iOS game on a Mac? Those games are designed for touch-screen. I do know that a few iOS developers, like Gameloft, have ported some of their games to the Mac though. Those are on the Mac App Store.

7. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Interesting fact - when you write an app and have Xcode compile it for the simulator, it compiles it for x86 and sends it to the simulator, which is running an x86-native iOS virtual machine. As such, the iOS simulator in the developer tools cannot run iOS apps from the App Store, as they are compiled for ARM for use on an actual device.