Can I play Xbox 360 (HDMI) on iMac Mid 2011 21.5"?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gozumaki, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Gozumaki macrumors newbie

Hey folks, I've seen this question around but haven't found any answers to my specific setup.

I have a 21.5" iMac Mid 2011 and I'd like to display my Xbox 360 (HDMI) through it. I'm confused as I've seen these Mini Display Ports for the 27" version which cost over £100 but then I find these things on Amazon wondering if they'll do the job I need.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proxima-Direct%C2%AE-Mini-Displayport-adapter/dp/B005J0XB7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385407431&sr=8-1&keywords=thunderbolt+to+female+hdmi

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Goz

2. TheyCallMeBT macrumors member

No, unfortunately, that adapter only works for outgoing signals from your iMac (or other Mac computer). So if you wanted to show your Macbook's screen on your TV that has HDMI in, or if you wanted to hook up your iMac to a second monitor that had HDMI.

For target display mode, the output from the device has to match the input on the iMac, as in-- no adapters. If that model has Thunderbolt (I think it does, right?), then the signal out from the other device has to be Thunderbolt. It cannot even be Mini Display Port, which has the exact same looking connector and is otherwise compatible for signals coming out of the iMac. So for now, I think that only includes Mac computers.

If it has mini display port, and not Thunderbolt, then your options expand a little bit, as you can get a gfx card for a gaming PC that has mini display port (or full size display port-- that adapter will work), then you can use the iMac as a monitor for it.

So of all of the possible options, none include any way to hook up your Xbox.

3. Gozumaki thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn! I did have a good search after posting that question, did have an inclination reading descriptors of adapters that it was only outgoing signals. Ah well, thanks for the info. New HDMI TV it is then!

And yes, my iMac is Thunderbolt.

Cheers man, problem settled.

Goz'