Can I please have some help with making a ringtone, please?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by a-m-k, Oct 8, 2013.

1. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

How do you create ringtones with your iTunes songs? I spent almost an hour trying to figure it out, but I can't seem to find the list I need to choose from.

My iTunes version is 11.1.1. I'm not sure if there is much difference between the different things (choices) from previous versions to the most current version of iTunes.

I don't remember the version that I could make a ringtone without problems, but I do remember what the icon for iTunes was. It was the CD with the blue music note on top.

Thank you!

This is what the app looked like when I was able to easily make a ringtone.

Attached Files:

2. ColdCase, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

I use the Garageband app. Start Garageband, open a music file from your library, select share > send ringtone to itunes. If too long it will tell you to adjust the song (there will be an orange bar near the top of the window that you can slide around) and then share > send ringtone to itunes again. The clip will show up in your itunes tones folder... like magic.... You need to set up your iPhone to sync with the tones folder. :).

I don't think you can make ringtones within iTunes directly, but you can buy them. Perhaps you were using a ringtone app as there are several of them. There are also work arounds like converting a clip to a .m4a file type I think and changing the extension to .mfr. There are several online sites with instruction details if thats the way you want to go.

http://artoftheiphone.com/2009/01/19/how-to-create-an-iphone-ringtone-using-itunes/

3. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

There's a few ringtone apps on the mac app store you could use. Use the app to select a song, use the desired portion of the song. Then you just import it to iTunes and it should be under ringtones, that's how I do it anyways.

4. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Thank you both for your replies... I will try them both as time permits.

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

This looks a lot easier.

I have been using iTunes to create ringtones. All you need to do is to set your song to 30 seconds or less then create a m4a format then manually change the file to m4r format. You can google it for the complete set of instruction.

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I've tried both ways and have lately been using the garage band method as I find it much easier. Open garage band and its media browser. The media browser will list the music you have on hand. Find the song you want and drag it to the GB track. Click on the loop and drag the loop to the section of the song you want. Shorten the loop if you want. Share > iTunes ring tone, its now in your iTunes tones folder and available to sink. The song editing tools garageband gives you are easier to use than iTunes.

7. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I think I have it set up right in garage band, but how do I add it to my iPhone if it is indeed there?

8. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

I do it a way that seems easy for me.

1. Pick a song.

2. Use the track playback start and stop options in iTunes to select ringtone section. Do NOT make longer then 30 secs.

3. Have iTunes convert the track to M4A. (do this even if it already is M4A)

4. Change the file extension for the M4A to M4R.

5. Drop in iTunes.

6. Enjoy.

9. priitv8 macrumors 68020

5.5. Sync iTunes ringtones to phone!

10. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

How would you change the file to M4A? I have the file I made in garage band still saved. Can I convert that to a M4A file instead of starting over?

11. ScholarsInk macrumors regular

Just export it as a ringtone.

12. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I now have the tone saved to my iTunes? What comes next?

I just want to thank you all for being so patient with me. I'm still learning how to do things and I am the only one who has been primarily using Mac products. (In exception of my dad who just has an older iPhone, but he doesn't change his ringtone) When I get the last step... if there is one. I'll be done.

Thank you all very much for helping me! I really appreciate it. You all are wonderful and I hope I can consider you friends. (In some way.)

13. priitv8 macrumors 68020

14. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I think I have it set right because I now have a playlist entitled 'tones'. Thank you all for your help! :)

15. a-m-k, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Update...

Go to www.wondershare.com and as long as you have an iTunes library with one song in it, you can make a ring tone. What you want is the 'Free Ringtone Maker'. I am not sure if I found it and forgot about it because I couldn't get it to run right or what, maybe it's part of the Mavericks OS X anyway.