Can I plug a Mac keyboard into my iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by crashwins, Oct 26, 2018.

1. crashwins macrumors member

The Smart Keyboards are fancy...I like them. But I don't need to use the keyboard that much. I was wondering if I would be able to simply plug the keyboard from my iMac into my iPad Pro and use it seamlessly? This would provide a pretty great solution for me. Thanks!

2. iRaynor SK macrumors 6502

iRaynor SK

If it’s Bluetooth version of iMac keyboard, it should work.

3. crashwins thread starter macrumors member

thanks. Will it work like the smart keyboard via BT, which is flawless? I had read of people also plugging in their keybaords

4. iRaynor SK macrumors 6502

iRaynor SK

I remember keynote with 1st generation iPad, and it, as Jobs showed, worked with classic BT keyboard from iMac. I also tested that, but with other iPad, but it worked. Just test it before u buy.

5. crashwins thread starter macrumors member

Not sure I'm being clear. I know it works as a BT keyboard; I am talking about using the lightening cable and plugging directly into it

6. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Isn't it lightning at one end (for the KB) and USB (A) at the other?

7. crashwins thread starter macrumors member

8. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The article is correct. You need a lightning to lightning connection, so you either need one lightning cable and the camera kit or two lightning cables and a USB coupler (which should work in theory).

9. ericwn macrumors 68020

Not sure what the laughter is about but yes in the past it used to work with the camera connection kit adapter to USB. Or use any Bluetooth keyboards you like wirelessly.

10. crashwins thread starter macrumors member

Got it. Thanks. BT with the iPad is notoriously glitchy (you have to toggle, etc -- PITA). My hope was that a wired solution would be glitch free and quick (like the smart keyboard)

11. Hym tix macrumors regular

Hym tix

Yes.
    Any USB keyboard will work with the lightning to USB camera adapter.

12. muzzy996 macrumors 6502

Totally get the PITA part. This is where a simple little tweak to control center could help so damned much . . . not sure why the heck Apple hasn't done it yet . . . give us the ability to jump straight into bluetooth settings via control center with a long press of the bluetooth icon . . kinda like Android has had for YEARS. But nooooo . . we have to dive into Settings app manually, which doesn't support multiwindow BTW, and then navigate to bluetooth settings. I feel like I'm in 2014 every time I have to do this with my bluetooth devices.

Love the idea of using a physical keyboard via USB. Another great reason to have that camera adapter.