Can I plug all my externals into my MBA using 1 wire?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by L T, Sep 2, 2013.

1. L T macrumors 6502

L T

When I use my MacBook Air on my desk I have my speakers, external HDD and magsafe all plugged in on the left hand side, but I don't like having all the wires plugged into the side of the MBA, it looks untidy in my opinion.

I wondered if there was anything that would allow me to use a single lead for these externals in my MBA? Like a hub hidden out of view that I can leave my externals plugged into and then a single lead to my MBA?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Only Thunderbolt or maybe USB hubs with a USB audio device can do that for you, but you would still have to connect the MagSafe adapter separately, as it is not a data transfer cable per se, and Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 do not offer power capabilities to power your MBA.
    Thus either get a fancy Thunderbolt dock for much, much money (200 to 400 GBP), but have audio included and some other ports (LAN, Firewire 800, MDP, DVI, ...) or use a USB 3.0 hub and use a USB audio device that is compatible with Mac OS X, which would run your less than 100 GBP.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Once upon a time, I had a USB 1-cable to HUB then everything.

These days WIFI is good enough for everyday. The only time I plug in a data cable is because I wanto to move gigabytes quickly wo waiting.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68030

Boyd01

You used USB to actually power your Mac? That's what the OP says he wants. Wifi alone wouldn't cut it for me since I use an external monitor and an audio interface.

But a simple Google search brings up some dock options, like this: http://landingzone.net

Really wouldn't interest me... my desk is already "untidy" and the MBA is the least of the problems. :D

5. opinio macrumors 65816

Caldigit, Sonnet, Belkin, Sunix and Matrox all have T-Bolt hubs (or are soon to be released). That is as close as you will come.

You cannot power your MBA through any peripheral connection if that is what you want.

Also Kanex has USB3.0 and ethernet in one hub. That is a little cheaper if that is all you need.

6. tehsprayer macrumors member

The Zendock is exactly what you are looking for. You plug all your stuff into this box and then you have one end to plug in to hide wires everywhere. Unfortunately right now they only have a kickstart project and haven't been around very long.