Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taisiya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
Yes... another possibly dumb question from a new iPhone convert. :)

I've been using Android phones for many years. Most recently the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Note 5, Note S6, S7 edge, as well as LG G4, G5. All of them can be charged with any USB cable, but I usually just use whatever cable and chargers that came with the phones. I don't have any non-manufacturer wall chargers. In my cars, I have Griffin, Belkin, and Samsung 12v car chargers(either 1A or 2A output)

Having just purchased the iPhone 7 and iPhone SE recently, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to just take the Lightning/USB cable and plug it into any wall or car charger that I already have.

The reason I'm confused is that I've read articles about how Apple's Lightning connectors are proprietary and must be certified by Apple.(or may cause damage, etc....) However, the other end of the cable is just regular USB. If being certified by Apple is so important, what happens if someone plus the USB end to a Samsung/LG/Nexus/Moto charger... or worse, a decent, but no-name USB charger? Or is Lightning cable just a way for Apple to make extra money?

Thanks1

anthlis

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2016
Yes... another possibly dumb question from a new iPhone convert. :)

I've been using Android phones for many years. Most recently the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Note 5, Note S6, S7 edge, as well as LG G4, G5. All of them can be charged with any USB cable, but I usually just use whatever cable and chargers that came with the phones. I don't have any non-manufacturer wall chargers. In my cars, I have Griffin, Belkin, and Samsung 12v car chargers(either 1A or 2A output)

Having just purchased the iPhone 7 and iPhone SE recently, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to just take the Lightning/USB cable and plug it into any wall or car charger that I already have.

The reason I'm confused is that I've read articles about how Apple's Lightning connectors are proprietary and must be certified by Apple.(or may cause damage, etc....) However, the other end of the cable is just regular USB. If being certified by Apple is so important, what happens if someone plus the USB end to a Samsung/LG/Nexus/Moto charger... or worse, a decent, but no-name USB charger? Or is Lightning cable just a way for Apple to make extra money?

Thanks1
[doublepost=1481410453][/doublepost]You can plug the USB end into any charger you like. It may charge slower though if the plugin charger is rated for less current than the Apple charger. I use my lightning cable plugged into my USB equipped alarm clock each night.

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
Any charger is fine. It is however, important to use a MFI certified lightning cable.

Just like any Android phone, the phone will dictate the charging up to either the phone or charger's capacity. iPhones do top out at 2A and will not take advantage of Qualcomm Quick Charge or similar technologies.

Warcake

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
yes, and i dont even use the included charger since its slow AF at 1amp. replaced it with an Aukey 2amp charger right off the bat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.