Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windsmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Wappingers Falls, NY
Hi. Can anybody please help me. My dad had an LCIII but the motherboard blew. He has quite a bit of data on his hard drive. I would bid on a LC575 (on ebay) if I knew that I could just pop my dad's hard drive into this. Any thoughts? ... and yes I have tried getting used LCIII's, but that didn't work because they didn't have OS's (dad misplaced his original OS disks) - seems LCIII's w/OS's installed are pretty scarce. thanks in advance!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Yeah.. should just be a SCSI drive. I can't say whether it will boot or not, but the HD should work just fine.

ManchesterTrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
windsmith said:
Hi. Can anybody please help me. My dad had an LCIII but the motherboard blew. He has quite a bit of data on his hard drive. I would bid on a LC575 (on ebay) if I knew that I could just pop my dad's hard drive into this. Any thoughts? ... and yes I have tried getting used LCIII's, but that didn't work because they didn't have OS's (dad misplaced his original OS disks) - seems LCIII's w/OS's installed are pretty scarce. thanks in advance!

Wouldn't the Hard Drive you're taking out of Dad's LCIII have the OS, or am I missing something?

windsmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Wappingers Falls, NY
thanks for the replies ... I guess you're right, his OS should be on his HD. But I'm confused and here's why. I got a used LCIII on ebay (it had been part of a university computer room I think). I took the hard drive out of it and put his in it. It booted up, and there was a screen that said "Educational Edition". I don't think that's what his screen normally looked like when he booted up, so I thought the screen was an artifact of the computer being 'new' (except for the HD). I don't understand, to be honest. I must seem pretty dense here. I will learn fast though I promise! Anyway the computer never got past that "Educational Edition" screen, to the part with the user interface, where you move the mouse around and open folders and stuff (I know I sound so technically shrewd, don't I?), and I figured that was because we needed system disks. But maybe i was wrong. Please have mercy friendly Mac cousins, and enlighten me further!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.