Can I program Numbers to import stock data?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oldpos, Jan 15, 2015.

1. oldpos macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am relatedly new to Macs so please go easy on me.

I need a spreadsheet that will download share trading data (open/low/high/close/current) from my local stock exchange, the Australian ASX.

Before the changed from my PC, I used Excel with VBA and now use the same spreadsheet via Office for Mac 2011. However I would prefer to use Numbers so that I can use both iPad and mac via iCloud.

I am aware there are many iPad apps available to download such data but I would prefer Numbers so I can format to suit.

My questions are:

1. Can I program a Numbers spreadsheet using Applescript or similar to get the result I need?

2. Would that run both on iMac and iPad?

3. How do I access the programming language?

I currently don't know anything about mac programming but am willing to learn if someone would give me the thumbs up or otherwise whether it is suitable to achieve what I need. Alternatively someone might know of a spreadsheet already in existence.

Many thanks in advance

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

There is no AppleScript support in iOS.
    When Apple 'updated' Mac iWork for iOS compatibility, they basically gutted the work suite's AppleScript Dictionaries. Much, but not all, of that functionality has returned on the Mac side. There's no sign, nor rumor of such, on the iOS side.

3. oldpos thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks, Partron22, that settles that. Will have to stay with excel on iMac without iCloud. Gggrrr.

4. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

You might want to consider using OneDrive which is Microsoft's offering that competes with DropBox and iCloud. MS Excel for OS X and iOS has integration with OneDrive.

Not sure whether this will work with VBA-based macros.