Can I prove a person owns an iPhone?

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Need legal advice...ish here. Say I want to prove a person owns a smartphone. I only have their phone number though. If I text that phone number the message turns blue, however. A clear sign that the person owns an iPhone, no? Would this "hold in court"?

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Couldn't that also mean they own an iPad or Mac with iMessage turned on? Doesn't have to be an iPhone, AFAIK.

Reactions: squirrel77

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
A person being in possession of an Apple device using iMessage is not necessarily the same thing as said person being the legal owner of the Apple device, that has care, custody, and control of the device at all times.

You need a lot more than a person's phone number.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Need legal advice...ish here. Say I want to prove a person owns a smartphone. I only have their phone number though. If I text that phone number the message turns blue, however. A clear sign that the person owns an iPhone, no? Would this "hold in court"?
As other posters have stated they could be using iMessage on an iPad or Mac. Of course if you actually need legal advice go to a lawyer. That said I have a hard time thinking of a case where you would have to prove that a person owns an iPhone in court.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
As other posters have stated they could be using iMessage on an iPad or Mac. Of course if you actually need legal advice go to a lawyer. That said I have a hard time thinking of a case where you would have to prove that a person owns an iPhone in court.
I'm sure the OP doesn't want to divulge any info, but I'd also like to hear the details.

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
Apple knows this... They just don't tell u they know...

How do u send a iMessage if they don't know the number your sending it to.. It goes via their through their servers, and the phone number must be un-encrypted. Therefore, they know. If u keep a backup of iMessages, easily done with software on client side. then there u have the proof if u know the number or account it belongs to.

Last edited:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Apple knows this... They just don't tell u they know...

How do u send a iMessage if they don't know the number your sending it to.. It goes via their through their servers, and the phone number must be un-encrypted. Therefore, they know. If u keep a backup of iMessages, easily done with software on client side. then there u have the proof if u know the number or account it belongs to.
imessage doesnt need a phone number.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
A clear sign that the person owns an iPhone, no? Would this "hold in court"?
Why not subpoena the individual and get a deposition where you can ask them under oath if they have one?

There's no way AFAIK, that seeing a blue icon on Messages will hold up in court.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
If you use the phone number, and you don't have any email addresses on their contact page, then yes, it would be an iPhone. I'm pretty sure you can't link iMessage on an iPad or Mac to a phone which isn't an iPhone. Don't know what everybody else is talking about.