Can I purchase leopard license for pirated copy without reinstalling?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by design247, Sep 27, 2009.

1. design247 macrumors newbie

I recently had to replace the hard drive on my intel Mac and had someone install software on it. Unfortunately, they used software not licensed to me. I've uninstalled the software and reinstalled my licensed copies, except the OS. I own a license for tiger, but not for the leopard that's currently installed.

Can I purchase the license for leopard and be right with apple (get updates, upgrade to snow leopard, etc.)? Or do I have to purchase leopard and install that copy?

If this is the wrong forum for this question, please suggest the correct board. Thanks in advance.

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Once you own a copy of Leopard, you will be fine, there are no serial numbers or activation issues. Leopard is Leopard, so no need to re-install. But please go get that legal copy of Leopard right away!

3. design247 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would worry that the Leopard you got was a pirated copy with a possible trojan in it. I would be safe and re-install Leopard from the official DVD using an update install rather than clean, that way only Leopard gets fixed.

5. kasakka macrumors 68000

Just get a copy of Snow Leopard and install that.