Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phelps81

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Anoka, MN
My apologies if this has been asked before, but I am wondering if this is possible.

I have been eligible for an upgrade since november, but I was planning on waiting until june for the 4th gen, iPhone. My question is, since I have an $120 gift card to best buy, if i could buy the iphone as my upgrade there with my gift card. Is it possible for best buy to access my account in that way, or are they only certified to open new accounts?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

JackMaurer

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2008
This may be no help, but you should call Best Buy, as they are the ones that will be able to give you a definite answer, rather then an assumption.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It shouldnt be a problem wether you pay with a best buy gift card or even reward certificates.
As long as you are eligable for an upgrade you can purchase anywhere the iphone is officially sold.

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
To the OP:

I did an upgrade on Friday thru Best Buy this way...shouldn't be an issue for you (no matter the pay method). I also did the same thing with my last iPhone.

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
You might just want to check the back of the gift card for restrictions. You may not be able to use it to put towards a phone.

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
I don't even think my nearest BestBuy sells iPhones. I know they sell phones though, for AT&T and Verizon. It seems too precious of a phone to sell at a PC store. It belongs with its family...the Apple Store!:D

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I don't even think my nearest BestBuy sells iPhones. I know they sell phones though, for AT&T and Verizon. It seems too precious of a phone to sell at a PC store. It belongs with its family...the Apple Store!:D

I'm pretty sure All American Best Buy Stores sell iPhones. I could be wrong though. They started selling them in September 2008.

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
I don't really see a need for them to sell iPhones at that BestBuy, considering that there is an Apple and AT&T store across the street. Lol.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
I don't really see a need for them to sell iPhones at that BestBuy, considering that there is an Apple and AT&T store across the street. Lol.

Maybe you don't see a need for it, but I'm sure Best Buy corporate has better things to do than survey the areas surrounding each of their stores just to make sure they're only selling products you can't get anywhere else nearby. Otherwise you could put them out of business by opening an internet cafe across the street and offering access to eBay and Amazon.

gouda272

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
I always buy my iphones from best buy. i buy the warranty from them, its 15.00 a month but there is no deductable if you use it. Actually just had to use it for the first time the other day and it took 3 days to get a refurb sent back to the store after my wife dropped her 3gs on the floor and smashed the screen. Plus we have kids that we let play games on the phones so its some piece of mind if they end up breaking them too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.