Can I put a backup on my phone from an older date?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Savage, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

Okay, I'm kind of losing it right now because I basically just lost everything on my phone and can't figure out how to restore it all. First, here's what happened:

Yesterday a friend offered to put me on his developer plan so I could have the 4.1 update. At the time I didn't think much of it, except that it would be very cool to have. So I put 4.1 on my phone. Just a little while ago I decided I don't want this anymore (I only want real/final firmware releases on my phone). I just finished moving back to 4.0.1. However, I had no choice but to set the phone up as a new phone because the backup was using newer software than the current.

Is there a way for me to put a backup onto my phone from, say, two days ago (when my phone had 4.0)?

2. draz macrumors 6502a

Connect it to iTunes and hold down Ctrl (in Windows) or Mac key (in OSX) and right click on the phone name in iTunes and choose Restore from Backup. If all goes well then you should be able to see a drop down list with backup days/times.

3. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

Phew, I got it.

But now I have a new problem. When I sync my phone I get this message:
    I think it has something to do with iPhoto. Whenever I plug my phone into my Mac now (as of my friend telling me to sync my pictures into iPhoto before he gave me 4.1), it opens iPhoto. It never used to do this and I don't want it to. How can I go back to my old iPhoto-less way of syncing? I also tell my phone to sync a photo folder named "Wallpapers" through iTunes but it won't show up on my phone anymore.

4. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

I just figured out how to make iPhoto not open when I connect my phone. But it still gives me this annoying message and will not sync the folder I am telling it to in iTunes anymore. Also, I noticed that in iTunes the full charge battery icon does not show a power cord inside of it like the phone itself does. I may be wrong, but doesn't it either show that or a lightning bolt to tell you it is in the process of charging? Why is mine just a blank battery?

5. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

The photos I am trying to sync are taking up memory on my phone but are nowhere to be found. If I disable them from syncing, the memory is freed up on the phone and the message stops popping up. What gives?

Attached Files:

6. draz macrumors 6502a

Restart the phone and see if the problem goes away in iTunes.

*edit* that was for your battery indicator.... >_>

7. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

Restarting the phone worked. :)

It didn't fix the problem in the screenshot though. :(

8. draz macrumors 6502a

1. Browse to your Home folder in Finder
    2. Click on Pictures folder
    3. Right-click on iPhoto library -> Show package contents
    4. Find the "ipod photo cache" file click and hold then drag it to desktop
    5. Close Finder
    6. Reopen iTunes and try syncing again
    7. The iPhones photo cache should rebuild itself

9. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

This did not work. I still get the message despite the photos apparently being on the phone as seen in the following screenshot. Note that these are not photos taken with the phone's camera (which are on the phone under the "Camera Roll" section, like they should be), but ones that I am trying to sync from my computer to the phone.

Attached Files:

10. draz macrumors 6502a

I'm running out of ideas here :p

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1306
    Any pics in that folder which are not part of the compatible format?
    JPG, JPEG, TIFF, PICT, GIF, PNG, JPG2000 or JP2, PSD, SGI, and BMP

Might want to try syncing another pictures folder and copy a few images there just to see if everything is ok with that folder. If all is good then it could be the folder you are trying to sync contains a file that iTunes doesn't like.

11. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

I don't think so, I had a discussion with my colleagues about this (I work at an Apple Store), and we came to the conclusion that when you upgrade a lot of key files are changed, and then you're backup isn't changed with that, so you're backup becomes inoperable to the phone, hence the reason it won't allow you to use an old backup from previous firmware. If you have you SHSH Blobs saved (assuming you're jailbroken or have used Firmware Umbrella) then you could downgrade, then restore from backup, then update the firmware.

12. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

This post made me find the problem. There was a folder inside the folder I was trying to sync called "iPod Photo Cache" that I deleted and it works now. :)