Can I put DDR3 ram in my pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macpropro80, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

Another Noob question (sorry)

Can I put DDR3 Ram in my mac pro? the Bus Speed is fast enough. If the Slots cant take DDR3 is there any 3rd party memory racks (the 2 cards that hold the ram) that I can put in my mac pro to support DDR3?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Intel Inside macrumors 6502

4. TrapOx macrumors 6502

5. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there any 3rd party Riser card (I forget the real name, the 2 cards you put ram on in the pro) That supports DDR3 Ram?

6. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Not unless you buy a 3rd party motherboard along with it.

7. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

No.

Your Mac Pro will take DDR2 FB-DIMMs only. End of story.

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

no. DDR2 and DDR3 are completely different. they are not interchangeable in any way.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, it is called selling your Mac Pro and buying a new one that supports DDR3.

Edit: something that may likely happen with the next Xeon dual CPU chipset.

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Nope.

The current (and all previous) Mac Pros use "DDR-2 FB-DIMMs". They aren't even "normal" DDR-2" They are a special variant of DDR-2 that has an onboard chip (called "AMB", the "Advanced Memory Buffer") that turns the normally parallel memory protocol into a much faster (clock-speed-wise,) serial connection. This means that many fewer pins are necessary for data; which means you can have many more memory channels. (Back when FB-DIMMs were new, two channels was about all any system had; FB-DIMMs made four channels easily possible.)

THEORETICALLY, it would be possible to make a new AMB chip that allows faster DDR-3 chips to reside on the module, yet it would connect to the exact same FB-DIMM connector.

The problem is that the connection from the memory controller to the AMB on the current Mac Pro is only fast enough for DDR2-800. So even if you threw DDR3-2133 on those modules, the memory controller wouldn't know what to do with the extra speed. (And, to my understanding, nobody makes DDR-3 FB-DIMMs yet, anyway.)

So it's a chicken-and-egg scenario. No FB-DIMM systems run faster than 800 MHz (equivalent,) so nobody makes FB-DIMMs faster than 800 MHz.

Edit to summarize: Nobody makes a replacement riser card; but such a card wouldn't even be necessary, since by its design, FB-DIMMs only need a new on-DIMM AMB to support a new memory technology such as DDR-3. But even if they *DID*, it wouldn't matter to the Mac Pro because its memory controller wouldn't support the faster speed.

It's like trying to run 94 octane gas in a Honda Civic. The engine can use it, it just can't take advantage of the higher octane properly. (In fact, using higher octane gas than your car needs actually *REDUCES* power and fuel efficiency.)

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Change "may likely" to "will" and/or "have to". :)

12. TrapOx macrumors 6502

More guesses. Unless you're a developer, you're absolutely clueless.