Can I put Lion on this?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thebignewt, Dec 13, 2011.

1. thebignewt macrumors regular

2009 Macbook, Intel Core 2 duo, 2.13 GH. 4GB RAM. Used refurb, running OSX 10.5.8. The Apple.com site says I need to be running 10.6.6 or something to install Lion. I already bought Lion for my iMac. Does that entitle me do put a copy on this Macbook and if so how? Thanks in advance, I'm new to the Apple culture so pardon me if I'm a little slow.

2. adamtj11 macrumors 6502

Yup, you are allowed 5(I think) machines to use the download. Your MacBook is perfectly adequate for Lion. Just head to app store and go into your purchases , select Lion and begin download.

3. thebignewt thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. So the fact that I have OSX 10.5.8 now won't be a problem with dl Lion, 'cause on the Lion ad it says you have to be running at least OSX 10.6.something.

4. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

10.5.8 doesn't have access to the Mac App Store, therefore you can't download Lion from it.

However, you can use your iMac.
    Open the App Store.
    Go to your download history.
    Find Lion.
    Re-download it (I think you hold the option key and click it for the option, I don't remember).
    That will download the Lion install program.
    Don't run it on the iMac.
    Find it in Finder.
    Copy it to your MacBook (usb, DVD, ethernet, however you want).
    Run it on your MacBook.

I believe that should do it.

You can also find instructions to make a bootable Lion USB drive on your iMac and then use that for the upgrade.

5. thebignewt thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I'll get after it. Another (newby) question: if I put a blank DVD in my iMac drive do I just drag the downloaded Lion file from finder right over the DVD icon to burn it? I tried that with something else (I think it was a movie I ripped to iTunes) and it didn't work. I don't have to use some DVD ripping program as a go between?

6. thebignewt thread starter macrumors regular

I tried going to the app store on my iMac but I couldn't download Lion to it to burn and transfer to the Macbook. Is there any way I can upgrade the Macbook from the current 10.5.8 to 10.6.x? Then I could go to the App Strore on it and download Lion for free.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You'll have to get the Macbook to 10.6.8, then yes.

Why couldn't you on the iMac? If you already have Lion on it have to option + click the purchases tab and it'll enable the download.

8. thebignewt thread starter macrumors regular

It shows in my purchases, but I couldn't see how I could download it to the iMac again. How do I get the Macbook to 10.6.8 if I cannot access the App Store from it?