Can I put more RAM in my Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by modelbehaviour, Jun 3, 2009.

1. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

I tried reading the guide about it and I'm still super confused! :confused:

I have a white macbook from November 2007. It has a 2.2GHz processor and already has 2GB of RAM in on 2 separate 1GB DDR2 SDRAM cards (whatever those are...I just read it off system profiler!) I want to upgrade to 4GB if it's possible? Don't want to frazzle it to death or anything like that. The graphics card is the GMA X3100 if that makes any difference?! Any help would be wonderful! :eek:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You can upgrade it to 4GB with two 2GB sticks. Installation is pretty easy but not trivial, and you'll need a very small (#0 or #00) Phillips screwdriver to do so. I've upgraded my 2007 white MB, and, as long as you keep track of the screws and make sure you're grounded, it's a fairly quick fix.

Edit: I think your late '07 model technically supports up to 6GB, but that's a lot pricier due to the cost of a 4GB stick (plus a 2GB one).

3. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Well the computer can be upgraded to 6GB, now wether you can install it I have no clue considering you think replacing RAM is a hard task. lol

The hardest part IMO is finding a small enough screw driver, almost stripped my grandmothers MacBook but ended up using a flat head screw driver to get it out.

EDIT: totally beat by jsw, that's tabbed browsing for yah.

4. modelbehaviour thread starter macrumors 6502

I have someone who can install it for me, that's no problem...they've installed it in windows computers before just aren't familiar with Macs but I found the instructions on the Apple site and they seem simple enough.

Can we just buy RAM from PC world or whatever that'd fit a windows computer too or does it have to be some special brand? And do I need DDR2 or DDR3, and I read something about 204 pins and 200 pins?! ....I have no idea what the difference is.

5. Dip Falcon macrumors newbie

The best place to look for hardware for Macs is Other World Computing. http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/pc

They will show you what options you can put in your Mac for each model, and they even have how to videos!

I just upgraded to 4 GB in my Unibody MacBook and it was super simple after watching their videos.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

DDR2, 667mhz speed RAM. 200pin.