Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScKcBc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I have a 2010 Macbook pro 250gb 13" that works perfectly EXCEPT for the display. The hinges got really lose where the lid cannot stay up easily on its own and its making the display turn either pink or green on certain angles. But if you move the lid to certain angles its fine. The laptop is just beat up, I use it 6 days a week and my 4 year old daughter picked up and dropped it a few times when I was out of the room. :eek:

So I found a 2012 750gb macbook pro, 13" that has water damage. It's in great physical condition but doesnt turn on. I want to take the 2 apart and put my motherboard into it.

I know there is no guarantees but would this be a pretty safe bet to buy this other computer? I'm pretty tech savvy and have taken apart iphones numerous times, but never a macbook, I have the tools but other than that, is it pretty much just take out and replace?

Lastly, is there ANY CHANCE the 750gb hard drive from this other macbook pro would work on my board and I could use that?

Thanks in advance.

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
There is an extremely low chance that this procedure will actually work. Unless you know the exact mechanisms of the components you're switching out how they are connected to the chassis and whether changing it will affect performance, there is a good probability that you will screw up.

It's ultimately up to you if you want to go through with this, but I would strongly advise against it

snoylekim

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Hard drive would probably work fine .. think they're the same form factor between the 2010 and the 2012 .. You'll need to reinstall the OS ..as there are hardware specific drivers, etc .. As for the rest .. sounds like FrankenBook pro ..no idea ..good luck .. sounds like a fun project :)

Binomio

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
You can not do that, the connectors are different. The LVDS cable (video cable) is smaller on the 2012. The 2010 MBP has a single cable that connects the Airport/Bluetooth, Camera and light sensor into the logic board, the 2012 has a single cable that connects the camera, the Airport is connected through a different cable.

What you can try is to tighten the screws on the hinges and reseated the LVDS, that will usually solve the pink distorted video.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Lastly, is there ANY CHANCE the 750gb hard drive from this other macbook pro would work on my board and I could use that?

Thanks in advance.

If the hard drive was not damaged, it will work fine. a SATA connection is a SATA connection.

As far as the rest, honestly, I'd try to switch displays instead of switching motherboards, but that's me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.