Can I put my 40 gig HD from my 400MHz Sawtooth into a 1GHZ Qwicksilver?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Artzdrums, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Artzdrums macrumors newbie

I running a 400MHz sawtooth Family #M5183 my friend gave me with a 40 gig hard drive running OSX 10.3.9. I just picked up at the swap meet a Qwicksilver Model No.M849 PNG4 1GHZ DP/2M CACHE/512MB SDRAM? 80GB HD DVD-R/CDRW/Nv17 DUAL/56k MDM/GIGE it is missing the HD from under the superdrive can I just plug in the HD from my Sawtooth and run her? She still has the HD in the bottom its a 80 gig IBM Deskstar. When I opened my Sawtooth I found that there is a Seagate Cheetah model#*ST118202LW* Its not even plugged in!!! How many gigs is it and can i run it for more space? I have three 512 cards for memory. Can I use the video card from the sawtooth to run a second monitor? If this all works whats the newest operating system I can run? As soon as I get the money I am going to swap the processor and bring her up to speed. I am a singer/songwriter on a budget trying to put my studio together,I run live sound and make Hand Drums.I'm not a computer tech by no means but I do ok running a mouse to get a good sound. If you are going to tell me to wrap machine in tin foil and put it in the freezer PLEASE don't waste my time!!!!! I just want to build my machine correctly and not f@#$ anything up. Thank you for any input you can give me. myspacemusic/jonartzmusic or myspacemusic/artzdrums

2. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

A quick answer to your title/question ...
    Yes you can put your 40GB HDD into the 1GHz Quicksilver. Something to note though ... you may not be able to boot up with your current 40GB unless you install the suitable OS version for the PowerMac G4.

3. Artzdrums thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I put the video card from the sawtooth to the Qwicksilver to run a 2nd monitor?

:rolleyes:

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

5. Artzdrums thread starter macrumors newbie

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Yes, it runs perfectly with 10.3 and even better with 10.4.

If it beeps (and power button is flashing), it's usually a RAM problem: incompatible or no RAM installed. You need PC133 low density RAM. PC100 or ECC will not work.

Here you will find more about beep codes: http://www.techbase.iofm.net/tips/applemac/tip1.htm

7. Artzdrums thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you that probly what it is I think you nailed...

:)