Can I put my 5s sim card in my 6+???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lmcrael, Sep 24, 2014.

1. lmcrael macrumors member

I have AT&T, if I take my sim card out of my 5s and put it in my 6+ will it work? I know in the past if you inserted an active sim it would work in any other phone.

Thanks

2. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

It actually will work, due to both using nano sims. But apparently AT&T will keep sending you a text telling you to use the sim that came with the phone. Had a guy come into my store with that issue, so I just activated the new SIM for him. I haven't had that issue with Verizon, tho.

3. christopher3071 macrumors regular

Yes, I bought a T-mobile 6+ and put in my AT&T sim card from my 5S. It works!

4. lmcrael thread starter macrumors member

I figured, the AT&T rep I spoke with said I would have to get a new sim card.

5. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

I was actually told to do this by a T-Mobile rep. No other information was given to activate my new 6 and I merely transferred my last 5S backup into the 6 and was up and running in 2 minutes.

6. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Still works. I do that with my iPhone 5 daily when I run, then swap back to my 6 Plus.

7. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

The sim from my AT&T 5s is now in my Verizon 6 Plus

8. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

It works fine. AT&T will send you a text to upgrade your SIM, but it's only once as far as I can tell, and I haven't noticed anything not working yet.

9. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

At&t

I did that with my wife's sim. Took it out of her 5s and put it in a "paid full price" 6 and it is working with no issues.

10. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

You need a new sim. It's free. They'll even mail it to you.

11. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

Each provider occasionally makes minor updates to the sims so you'll want to use the new SIM if you've been using an old one for a while. It's usually free so done see why you won't want to just swap it.

12. DustyLBottoms macrumors regular

You need a new SIM.

If you guys want to be able to use HD voice I'd recommend a new SIM card.

Go here, and read the fine print at the bottom:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/services/hd-voice.html#fbid=ZGfHOty3wv8

HD Voice has limited availability in select markets. Deployment ongoing. HD Voice Requirements: To experience HD Voice, both parties on the call must have an AT&T HD Voice-capable device with a SIM type of UICC-G and higher, be located in an AT&T HD Voice coverage area with a phone number based within an HD Voice coverage area, and have HD Voice set up on their AT&T account. The following features/services are currently incompatible with HD Voice service: prepaid service, Smart Limits, Ringback Tones, and OfficeDirect and OfficeReach (for business customers). HD Voice will be available at no additional cost. Demo provides example of actual HD Voice call. Results not guaranteed.

13. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Do you Get lte? Is the TMobile one unlocked?

----------

Is the Verizon one unlocked and do you get lte? Also does anyone know if this applies to the 6?