Can I put my Apple TV and PS3 in here?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The.316, Mar 29, 2011.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I am rearranging my tv setup in the living room, and wanted to know if I could place my apple TV and PS3 in the picture below. I placed the PS3 on the top shelf before, but after a little while, the fan in it was running extremely high, and it got real hot. Obviously air circulation would be an issue, so what I was thining was maybe drilling a lot of holes behind the piece of furniture, so air can get it. Does anyone think that would work? The air would only be coming from the back, even though the front piece of glass isnt tightly closed against the furniture. Thoughts?

Edit: Looking at the pic, I can drill some holes on the right side of the furniture, and underneath as well.

Attached Files:

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

You're asking us if you can put your PS3 in to a cabinet when you've already had it in there? Obviously, you can, and the :apple:tv is smaller, so obviously, you can do that too.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Yeah, the simple solution would just be to take off that door. Drilling holes in the back wouldn't do much to vent heat since the PS3 is quite an active device. Second, unless you're planning on controlling the ATV with an iPhone/iPod Touch, you'll need the IR remote to be able to reach it.

4. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

Im thinking more about air circulation, and not overheating. Obviously I can fit them both in there since I put the PS3 in there before, I just dont know if there will be enough air circulating, which is why I was asking for opinions.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I see. I have had two models of the "classic" PS3, the original 60GB, and the revamped 80GB. I kept the 60GB in a cabinet like yours, and it was always spinning the fans at a very loud rate. I pulled it out, and it was still loud and annoying...that's the reason I eventually got rid of it. The "newer" version (not the slim jim), runs much cooler and quieter. I have it in a cabinet, but I open the door when the PS3 is in use. It is always quiet and cool. So, I guess it depends on which model you own.

6. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

That is what I am going to do. The screws to the glass are to the left on the inside, so the holes wont be visible. Just thought of that about two minutes before I refreshed this thread. Lets see how it goes.

This is the easy part. The hard part is I am putting a motorized wall arm for my tv on the wall, which should be a fun install :eek: