Can I put my iPhone SIm into my HTC HD?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryanwarsaw, Nov 14, 2008.

1. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I think the answer to this should be yes but I never tried it. I just want to use my iPhone SIM on my HTC touch HD that came today to test if it will make calls, tether, etc. Is there any reason I can't do this? I am on O2 UK if that matters.

2. markgamber macrumors 6502

FWIW I used to swap my sim between the iPhone and a HTC built Tilt all the time. It worked just fine in either phone.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Shouldn't be a problem; I switch back and forth between a Motorola Razr V3 about once a month just to see if I can...

4. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Okay cool, that's what I figured. Just don't want O2 to give me grief or something. I am still paying them their blood money so they really shouldn't care.

Thanks

5. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

As long as the phones are on the same network(if they're both locked), then i think it should be no problem.
    Is it even possible to lock a sim into a particular phone model, so it couldn't be used in another phone, even if that phone was locked into the same network(or unlocked)?

6. Baron58 macrumors 6502

Yes. In the US, you can only use a SIM in an iPhone that was activated in an iPhone on an iPhone plan. You can put that SIM in other (unlocked or AT&T) phones, but you cannot put another (AT&T) SIM into an iPhone and have it work.

(disregarding unlock/jailbreak situations)

7. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

yeah that would work, but putting another sim into unhacked iphone wont work .

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I disagree, Had my Motorolla razr for...2 years occasionaly switching with an N91.. My cousin gave me the iPhone this past August. I just put the SIM in and activated, and it worked fine.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Question; was that the 3G iPhone?

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

If its a 3G SIM card you can. I have a 3G SIM card ever since I got my first phone( the razr), and I can switch it with my brothers 3G iPhone anytime.

11. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Anyway it worked. I also discovered the entire area I live in has great 3G coverage. I never got 3G ever anywhere in this town so mistakenly assumed the town wasn't covered. In the HTC I got great signal and speed everywhere I go around here LOL. It also gave me a chance to find out that my new MBP says I have no bluetooth when I click under info.

Funny the things you notice when you get a phone that doesn't have crippled bluetooth. Had I not bought a new phone to use for tethering I may have never discovered that my area is wall to wall 3G coverage or that my bluetooth on my MBP was faulty

That means that one unhappy man, 2 iPhones and a MBP are going to go see the people at the Apple store for replacements.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good luck Ryan...:cool:

13. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Well thank you if you are being sincere. if not well...meh.