Can I put my screen to sleep without locking it up ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cudo, Feb 11, 2009.

1. cudo macrumors regular

Hi,

Can I put my screen to sleep/dim it to maximum without necessity of locking it up ? I know i could set it to never got so sleep in settings but it would drain my battery off in no time. Say I use Wedict and every time I look up for a word i need to turn my iP on and than unlock the screen.

Thanks in Advance !

2. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

So you want to avoid having to slide the unlock button at the bottom of the screen correct? As far as I know the only way would be to set the Auto-Lock to never and just hit the lock button on the top of the phone when you want the screen turned off. There is not a way to just turn off the screen without the unlock screen coming up once you turn it back on though.

3. cudo thread starter macrumors regular

yes basically i would like to avoid to slide the unlock button every time. i guess ur solution solves part of the problem but i still need to press the lock button at the top which is a pain again.

any app allowing to dim the brightness to minimum and after touching the screen bring it back to the previous setting ? this plus auto lock set to never would be a solution.

4. sla07 macrumors newbie

i definitely dont mean to bring this thread back from the dead but after some research, it almost sounds like this question has been asked multiple times with no true resolution aside from "it cant be done"...is there really no app out there, jailbroken iphone or not, that would allow this?...i cant seem to think that it was intended for your iphone to be left "on" if you didnt lock it...battery drainage, for one, comes to mind...

just figured i would ask one last time as i have seen across the internet as it is... :)

5. Himynamesnoah macrumors member

You can just disable the lockscreen completely using some Cydia tweaks.
    I think one is called Nolockscreen. Goodluck.

6. sla07 macrumors newbie

aahh ok, so it needs to be jailbroken...i just find that odd...i wonder if the screen just stays on until the battery dies if not locked...testing now to see how long it stays on for :D

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I would give it a few hours, maybe three or four tops. This would no doubt adversely affect the life of your screen though. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone to do for long periods of time.

8. sla07 macrumors newbie

aahh i ended up just locking it after about 7 minutes...stayed bright and wasnt looking like it was going to shut off...weird that you cant...simple feature...not sure how many would leverage it but i know i use it a lot on my bb so tha i dont have to unlock whenever i want to check if a new message came in or not...looks like iOS5 is giving a notification feature for the lockscreen, so this can possibly eliminate the need for what im asking about...