Can i put my Tiger anywhere i want ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Star Destroyer, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Hey, with all the talk of upgrading and Leopard it got me thinking.

Can I take my old WD 80GB HDD plug it in externally to my macbook, reformat it using the default Mac OSX methods (journaled and whatnot) and put that HDD into my PC (removing the other HDD so this new mac formatted drive is master) and install my Tiger on that HDD and then theoretically have Tiger on my Desktop?

The only reason i cant see this working is OSX might not have drivers for some of the hardware? but cant i just DL them later on.
    Or perhaps if i install OSX when it is still connected via USB (or Firewire) to my macbook it will then be able to to be placed into my desktop for use there?

What do you guys think ? Can this work ?

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No. Mac OSX is not allowed to run on non-Apple hardware. Its in the EULA. Besides, its not straightforward.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

in the mac os x license agreement, you agree that you will run mac os x only on apple hardware. you might be able to run it off your pc, but it isn't something you're legally able to do.

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I gather you are asking if you can somehow run OS X on a PC. It's been done, but all of the people who've done it say that it is only a learning exercise. Besides missing drivers, OS X doesn't support BIOS and much PC hardware. In the end you get a crappy experience while spending more than a Mac would have cost. On the other hand, many PC people say running Windows on a Mac gives them a better Windows experience.

6. TimJim macrumors 6502a

1. break of contact (EULA)
    2. a laptop hard drive wont fit in a desktop hard drive
    3. even if you got it to work, its really buggy and slow

7. Star Destroyer thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah basically, to simplify i was wondering what would happen if i (for example) removed my macbook HDD and then just placed it into, say, a Sony viao and swapped the HDD.

With the new Intel support i thought it would be easier then doing it with the PowerPC stuff.
    I dont want to run XP and OS X, just OS X.

Yes Tim, i know it wont fit in a Desktop, i have extra desktop HDD and enclosures i use to swap files and backup stuff with. So i was wondering if i put OS X on one of them would i be able to replace my PC's HDD with the one with OSX on it.

8. tjevans macrumors member

tjevans

Not illegal (which means you are subject to jail time for it), but it is a violation of the license (civil liability). In theory, you open yourself up to civil liability on a breach of license claim.

[Sorry, the former lawyer in me couldn't resist]

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

You can put your Tiger in your toaster, but it will melt if you switch it on :(

10. saxman macrumors 6502

11. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

not true!

compatible hardware actually is very cheap since Apple uses these crappy chipsets in their macbooks and the older lower end 17" imac, you can get an all in one intel motherboard with the intel 950 graphics for about 50 bucks, ram is about 50 bucks, slap on a celeron 3gig for 50 bucks, and you can build a nice little system that will run OSX for about 250 bucks

its not all that hard to install either and it runs very fast...but yeah it violates the EULA

and no you can just stick a pre-installed harddrive in there it has to be a hacked version of OSX

12. juxtaposer macrumors regular

:D That one got me laughing!
    Yes, you can certainly (in theory) do what you are asking. But you shouldn't - as it clearly states in the EULA. Good plan though :)

13. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

if you swapped the drives, nothing would happen. your Vaio uses BIOS to boot, your Mac uses EFI.

MacRumors really isn't the place to be asking about this either.

14. Star Destroyer thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry to bring such rule breaking ideas to the macrumors crowds, but i was just thinking about it.

Today one of my friends pulled out her blackbook and powered on, and it was pure windows. I was shocked and almost yelled at her for it. Turns out she just really liked the look of the mac but hates OS X so she wiped it and put on Windows XP.

I started thinking, "I like OS X and hate XP, and i have a PC already, can i just wipe that and put Tiger on it since i have the install disks that came with my macbook?"

Thats how this all began, i didnt know it was so illegal and surprisingly hard to do. I have an AMD CPU and a Gigabyte board, so i dont think it would work out anyway.

Thanks for all the help, no i wont do anything illegal. But you guys can keep posting, i think its a nice theory haha It makes me warm inside thinking that ANY computer has the potential for Tiger. :D