Can I re-activate my old iPhone 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Habusho, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Habusho macrumors 6502

Hi, really need help here. I'm planning on using my upgrade option with ATT and getting the new 3gs but I would like to give it to my nephew who will use it on another network. I waited in line for 30 minutes and they told me that my old 3g has to be de-activated? Do they mean the old sim will be de-activated? Can I open up the box of the new 3gs and insert the sim into my old 3g and use it like normal as before??? I'd really appreciate any help.

Thx

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you ask they can switch it over to the other number for you. They are nice about things like this.

3. Habusho thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, I don't understand. I'm not moving over a number. I'd like to keep my current 3g, the way it is and be able to give away the 3gs to somebody. Would switching the SIM accomplish this?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I know, once you have the phone you can give it to anyone that you want. It is just like using an upgrade from one of your other lines to get you a new phone. As long as you sign the contract, AT&T doesn't care who uses the phone.

5. Habusho thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes but I heard that they de-activate the old sim card. So I would need to just switch the sims? Also would iTunes still work on my old phone?

6. Habusho thread starter macrumors 6502

Does AT&T actually activate the new phone (3Gs) before leaving the store? That's the heart of the question I guess. Because if they activate that phone with its serial number I don't see how I'd be able to go back to my old 3g.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

take the sim out of the 3gs and put it in your 3g and give the 3gs to someone. problem solved.

8. Habusho thread starter macrumors 6502

Then, need to re-activate my old 3g again with the new SIM with iTunes right?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No need for activation, just stick any at&t simcard and it will work without any itunes activation or anything.

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Or you could give your nephew your 3G and keep the 3GS:D.

Not alot of benefit of putting a 3GS on T-Mobile. All you are going to get is EDGE speed.