can I re-install Apps?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by moey2k2001, Sep 3, 2013.

1. moey2k2001 macrumors member

Hi

I'd like to please get some info.:D If I were to delete iPhoto & Garageband from my new MBA 11" due to space issues, could I re-install/redownload the apps if I decide otherwise from the App Store? What if I purchased Logic to install on an iMac, could I also install it simultaneously on my MBA?:confused::confused::confused:

Appreciate any insight.;)

Thank you.

MOE

2. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Not sure about the question regarding Logic but the answer to the first query is definitely yes. Just open the App store and click on the "Purchases" tab at the top, sign in if you haven't already, and you'll find both apps there available to be downloaded again whenever you want. I uninstalled iMovie and GarageBand on my own computer at one time for the same reason you did because I never used either program anyway. iMovie is a rather large app at over 1.4 GB in size. So far I've kept iPhoto because I have used it at times.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

You can use Logic or any other apps that you purchase on all the Macs that you own. It is tied to the Apple ID that was used to make the purchase. If it's installed on your iMac, you can just copy all the files to your MacBook Air. The first time that you open Logic, it will ask you to enter your Apple ID, then you'll be all set.

Alternately, you could just sign into the App Store on your MBA and then download Logic again, but that could take a long time if you want to download all the content, so it's easier to just copy everything from the iMac if possible.

4. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Not that this is likely with these apps, but just for completeness: If Apple or the developer pulls the app from the store, you'll be out of luck. Again, I don't think the listed apps are going anywhere but think about it before deleting other purchases. It does happen.

5. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input peeps :D

Are there any restrictions as to doing something before I delete the apps? Just want to be on the safe side.

So in other words, if I delete any Apple apps that came with the particular computer, I can ALWAYS re-download them from the app store no matter what? Also, for how many licenses am I able to usually use bought software from the app store? Can I use the same software simultaneously on all Macs?

6. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

No, not "no matter what"; see above. But probably.

For multiple devices, you can authorize multiple computers in the household with the same Apple ID and install the software without repurchasing it. I think the limit is 5 computers.

7. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

THANKS FOR THE INPUT AGAIN! :D:D:D

Well as long as the software is available and they won't replace it with something else I guess. Cool, so I'm gonna delete some software since 256GB is not a lot and I'd rather have more space than software I rarely use.

8. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting this, I never thought to uninstall Garage Band, but I will never use it. Any space saved is good in my book.

I have Lightroom for photo editing, but still think I'll keep iPhoto for basic image viewing and minor editing (resizing/cropping)..works well for that.

9. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

resizing and cropping is enough with preview. uses less space. unloess u want photo stream and more options to export and rename more pics at the same time then go with iphoto

10. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

:eek:

You're right, I was just using Preview..still new to this OS.

Bye-bye, iPhoto!

11. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Just do a full backup before you delete anything, then you can easily restore if you change your mind.

If you've been using Macs for a number of years and moving all your files with the Migration Assistant, here's another tip for opening up some space. Get rid of all your old software that needs Rosetta - those old programs stopped being supported with MacOSX 10.7.

If you look in your Applications folder, these programs will have a circle and slash superimposed on their icons. There are probably other programs hiding in sub-folders too. I've used Macs since 1985 and although I've deleted a lot of old stuff I was never very diligent about this. A few days ago I did some serious housecleaning and removed 9GB of software from my SSD that is no longer compatible.

Of course, if you're new to the Mac, this isn't going to help. But I was surprised just how much old stuff I had - some of it went back to 2002. :)