Can I re-repartition HD without reinstalling Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by silkyjohnson, Nov 16, 2009.

1. silkyjohnson macrumors newbie

So basically, I split my MacBook Pro into 130 GB for OSX and 100 GB for Windows 7.

Although I do enjoy and use Windows 7 on my laptop often, I need more space on the OSX side for my media. At first I planned to keep it in an external My Passport drive and just connect it whenever I wanted to use my media, but I came to learn that that idea is a pain in the ass. So I would like to keep all of my media (mostly music) in the OSX partition.

The thing is though, I have a Windows 7 desktop at home, and I installed windows 7 on my MacBook Pro only because I found it convenient to be able to work on Windows-only things when I'm not at home. So I really don't need that big of a partition on my MacBook for Windows. I figure, for my purposes about 50 GB is plenty. I already have a copy of all my media hooked up to my PC on an external harddrive at home anyway.

I would like to have all of my media wherever I carry my MacBook as well so I would like to adjust the partition to maybe just 50 GB for Windows and the rest for OSX.

Is there any way to do this without having to reinstall Windows 7? I would really like to avoid the process of reinstalling Windows and all the programs I already have in it.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Winclone should do the trick.

Clone your current Windows partition to a Winclone image
    Delete current Windows partition.
    Resize Mac OS partition.
    Create new Windows partition
    Restore Winclone image to the new Windows partition.

You'll need Winclone and some drive big enough to store the image. (Larger than the used space on the current Windows partition.)

B

3. silkyjohnson thread starter macrumors newbie

I will give it a shot and return with the results. Thanks! :)

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just a note of warning. Snow Leopard has trouble with the compressed and mountable Winclone images and SpookTheHamster is having trouble restoring a W7 image here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=821583

If this was 10.5 and Vista it would work exactly as I wrote, but be prepared to have to start from scratch. :(

B

5. silkyjohnson thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... thanks for the heads up! I just finished making the copy. I think I'll go back up any files I might want to keep first.

6. silkyjohnson thread starter macrumors newbie

Dang! I should have read their documentation for installing to a smaller partition. Oh well. I'll just reinstall Windows 7 from scratch, no biggie.