Can I recalibrate my GPS on my 3G S ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacDryCleaner, Jun 23, 2009.

1. MacDryCleaner macrumors regular

Whenever I use maps or the newly released app, AT&T Navigator, my location is consistently displayed to be one block off whatever city street I am on. I am driving down highways, suburbs and the downtown area of Minneapolis (which only boasts a handful of really tall buildings that may impede the GPS signal) and I am always just a little bit off from my true location. Not true with my 3G.

Also, my compass continually indicates I'm facing the wrong direction as well. If I'm facing south, it will indicate I'm facing South South East.

Question 2: Should I be holding my compass perpendicular to my body and parallel to the ground or parallel to my body and perpendicular to the ground? Or maybe it doesn't matter.

Thanks for any responses.

2. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Is your compass set to true north or magnetic north?

3. MacDryCleaner thread starter macrumors regular

True North.

Attached Files:

4. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Which one should we use?

5. Fant macrumors regular

My compass is all over the place when i'm driving. It shows me going along the road but its pointing a different direction. I have tried using both True North and Magnetic North (what is the difference?) and have also tried the wave motion calibrate as well as letting it calibrate on its own while driving. Neither works for me so the compass is currently useless to me. Anyone else having this trouble?

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I prefer True North. If you go with Magnetic North then you must calculate True North.