Can I record video direct to my Mac with a seperate audio source?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TTripp, Jun 3, 2008.

1. TTripp macrumors newbie

I'd like to record video direct to Mac/iMovie with a camcorder, but have a seperate (not from the camcorder) audio source by micing up the participants via Firewire. Is this possible? Are there any special connections I would need on the camcorder? Thanks!

2. -DH macrumors 65816

I know you can do it with FCE and FCP ... should be able to do it with iMovie as well.

Connect all of your mics to a mixer, then feed the mixer's output to one of your camera's audio input. Then connect the camera to your Mac via Firewire.

-DH

3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Route the audio through the camera, as DH explained, or use what's called the "double system": Record the video and audio separately, then merge and synchronize them in the editor. I don't know iMovie enough to tell you how to do that, but in theory it shouldn't be any different than importing a background music track for your video. If you have a decent FireWire-based audio capture solution, this should give you higher sound quality than routing sound through the camera.

- Martin

4. Poeben macrumors 6502

Kind of a thread-jack here, but I was wondering this the other day. In FCP I can select my audio source as my Firewire audio interface but, by doing so, I can't select my camera as DV source (although I can playback sequences to both camera DV and Firewire audio, IIRC.) I was thinking it may be because they are sharing the FW bus but short of adding another FW card I don't know how to tell if this is the case.

Any ideas?