Can I recover data from a restored iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by remeter, Oct 15, 2014.

1. remeter macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1.1 stuck in recovery mode. I have tried a lot of software, such as tinyumbrella-7.12.00, iReb, redsn0w, EaseUS and etc, but I cannot fix the recovery mode loop or get out of the recovery mode!!
    However, there's a lot of photos in my iPhone, I don't want to lose them:(.

So, next I want to do is factory reset my iPhone, and then use some kind of recovery software to drill back my photos from the iPhone. Does anyone think this is the possible solution to help me get out of recovery mode loop and saving my data? Thank you.

2. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

Nope. Once it's wiped there is no recovering old files that were erased. Apple's wipe/restore is pretty thorough and security minded. Best you can hope for is to recover from a backup file or from iCloud if your iPhone synced to it.

3. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

Nope. Once it's wiped there is no recovering old files that were erased. Apple's wipe/restore is pretty thorough and security minded. Best you can hope for is to recover from a backup file or from iCloud if your iPhone synced to it.

4. remeter thread starter macrumors newbie

Bad news to me...I didn't backup my iPhone for a long time since I purchased a new computer. Do you think the Apple Store staffs can help me backup my data from the iPhone?

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Nope, they're not in the data recovery business.

DFU restore to 8.0.2 and learn to keep backups.

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I had to learn this lesson the hard way too a while back. Nothing else you can do except restore and start being diligent with backups.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I doubt the Apple store has the ability to recover your lost data.

I am sure it can be done to some extent but no by mear mortals like us. Apple Corp or the NSA would be able to do so, but they are not going to help you.

Sorry but a good lesson learned. I use the cloud and do a full back up to my computer weekly.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As others had stated, once its wiped, its gone. There's no ability to undelete, or recover for all intents and purposes.

9. legioxi macrumors 6502a

The data is encrypted and when you wipe the phone, the key is erased and replaced with a new random key. Without the key you're SOL.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The original data is automatically encrypted for your data security. During the wipe the old key is erased and then a new one generated. If they actually erased the phones during every restore, it would take forever.

11. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

They cannot, i've heard before from a Genius that worked there they referred them to a 3rd party for data recovery on a Macbook Pro.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like others said, you're out of luck.
    Learn from it and from now on do periodical backups. In case something happens and your phone breaks or is lost at least you will have some of your info saved like pictures, contacts etc....

13. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

No but you can pay a lot of money and a forensic computer expert could. They would have to take the device apart, use special equipment and it would cost a lot of money.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm guessing more than 2 years later something has been figured out one way or another--as in most likely it's simply been "written off" and forgotten.

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I really wish the forum would give a pop-up: "You are posting on a 2 year old thread" :D

Its so easy to read the content and skip over the date. I've been guilty of this for years.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, I missed it too and responded to a dead thread :D
    Thank you "Ivan Tse"