Can i reinstall my 15'' mac pro system with a 13'' disc?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bubsiminnie, Sep 20, 2011.

1. bubsiminnie macrumors newbie

i recently bought a second hand 15'' macbook pro, and when i turned it on, it always have the previous owner's name on the top left corner, it doesn't go away even if i change the wallpaper, so i guess it's build-in, so plus every other his staff on it, i really wanna reinstall the system and clean up everything. however, i don't have the installation cd, and when i tried to use my friends 13'' installation cd, it says 'Mac OS X 10.6 cannot be installed on this computer'! why is that and what should i do?:confused: cheers~

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

And thats all it will ever do...just buy lion and follow the instruction here to make a CD before you install it and then do a fresh install of lion. You could of course buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard if it's still around.

3. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

AMAZON.COM has left over Snow L. OS 10.6

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Go to Apple and ask about getting a new SL disk, or even just a clean install of 10.6 (don't make up some story, just tell them the truth that you bought it from a friend and didn't get a disk), and see what they say. At worst they won't have one, or they may charge you for a disk(but you'd have to buy one anyway), but you might get lucky and they'll help you out.

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

The version of SL makes a difference as well. We need more information on the year and model of your MBP, as just buying a retail SL disk may not work either (depending on the model of MBP and the version of SL you buy).

6. bubsiminnie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, il try to ring apple first and see what they say