Can I reinstall OS X w/out affecting my WIN7 bootcamp partition???

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mac-key, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming yes, but I thought I'd ask.

Obviously I'd need to back up my windows side just in case and then wipe my MAC partition

is this correct?

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

With the issues I've been encompassing, I'm going to assume "No".

I'm trying to move bootcamp to another partition (its own drive). Or even have a backup. I've read online how people are having problems with Acronis, Winclone (no longer supported), and other utilities. On Experts Exchange.com, somebody reported problems using Win7's own backup image utility as failing to work under bootcamp's paradigm as well.

Somebody did mention making a DMG backup would work. I did that, but read further on the issue so I started buying expensive apps and playing with defunct utilities instead of trying a standard DMG image deployment after prepping a drive in the first place.

I wish Apple would take ownership of this sort of backup problem.

I wish Microsoft and Adobe weren't so draconian with activation policies (and at least one news article proves Microsoft as being two-faced on piracy: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/07/23/100134488/ )

EDIT1:

Once Parallels is solid, I will ditch bootcamp. It's sad that certain apps run more stable (and/or faster) under Windows than OS X (e.g. Bryce 7 Pro). It's far easier to manage a VM image than an image for a physical drive...

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, you can

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Would you adumbrate how it can successfully be accomplished?

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Amen to that. I tried using a demo of VMware Fusion 3 with my bootcamp partition, and windows had a fit (as did office). Then it was still pissed at me when I booted in to windows with bootcamp and had to verify authenticity of my copy of windows. That is much of the reason I hate microsoft. Maybe if they priced their OS reasonably, then people wouldn't try to steal it so much

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Or Microsoft effectively giving it away in one country because of their piracy rate, while putting the rest of us to the sword.

The way Microsoft does things (licensing contracts with hardware OEMs), they have to charge up to $500 per full license (though $500 was Vista Ultimate, Win7 isn't as much but grossly overpriced considering a score of factors, some of which transcend the scope of my response). Still, after Vista Ultimate Extras and no upgrade discount to Win7 to make up for the lack of extras, there is a considerable gripe...

Apple controls both hardware and software and won't license to third parties, which is partly why Macs cost more (upfront, OS X upgrades are far lower in price than Windows). I just wish Apple took a little more time with making backing up of Bootcamp easier - Time Machine is said to be lauded, but it's not made for bootcamp...

7. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not trying to move my data to a new disk. I just simply need to reinstall OS X on my current drive.

Do you still think I would have issues? even if I have no intention of moving my WIN7 partition?

8. guy86 macrumors newbie

9. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

cool.

thank you for the help