Can I rejig an iMac G4's hardware for modern usage?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by The Valeyard, Aug 3, 2011.

1. The Valeyard macrumors member

I love the design of the iMac G4 and would love to have one. However, with my usage, the hardware has to be totally redone. Here is what I would need:

At least 500GB Internal Hard Drive
    At least 3GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
    At least 4GB Memory
    And a rather good graphics card

I want to be running Snow Leopard (and Lion, perhaps, once it gets a better release). I do a lot of film editing and viewing and my current iMac gets slow sometimes.

I know that the motherboard will probably need to be totally replaced for the processor but beyond that I don't know what to do. I don't mind buying a smart-looking box to connect all my external pieces if required to keep it looking neat.

Any suggestions welcome.

2. meli macrumors member

I've read of people who have put mac minis into the G4 iMac. And the new mac mini is even smaller than the old one. If you Google "mac mini into g4 imac", you'll find stuff.

3. The Valeyard thread starter macrumors member

There was something else I forgot, I also need a DVD burner as it is my understanding that the G4 only has a DVD reader and CD reader/burner but no DVD burner.

Does the Mac Mini support this?

4. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I'd put some straps on it and turn it into a backpack + external monitor for a MacBook Air.

5. The Valeyard thread starter macrumors member

Look it up on Wikipedia next time before you post pointless comments. You're thinking of the G3, not the G4.