Can I Rely on Notes as a Substitute Database

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mailbuoy, Jul 17, 2017.

1. mailbuoy macrumors member

mailbuoy

I would appreciate opinions on whether Notes is robust and reliable enough to catalog a books collection. I have a "template" that includes the title, author, cover image, year published, date read, rating and notes. My collection of read and unread books (two sub-folders) is around 900 and could double (??). Each book is a separate note. So far, I have created about 25 book notes and I like the convenience and appearance of them in Notes, but I am concerned that I may be going beyond what was intended with Notes.

What about a home inventory? A folder for the inventory... sub-folders for each room... each inventory item in a separate note, including a photo... etc.

I currently use Tap Forms for the books. It works well although perhaps a little quirky on the iPhone. The books are the only current use of Tap Forms; the home inventory the only contemplated future use.

All my other "notes" are in Notes - no Evernote, OneNote, etc.

Thoughts?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I think what you want to do could be done better with a spreadsheet-based "database" (yes, I know that "Excel is not a database").

There's a nifty barebones Mac database app out there called "iData".
    I suggest you investigate it.

3. mailbuoy thread starter macrumors member

mailbuoy

Thanks for the reply, Fishrrman. I think I would stay with Tap Forms, which also has a multi-column (spreadsheet) view, before switching to iData. I migrated from Bento to Tap Forms a couple years ago. Just considering Notes as an alternative.

I guess I could infer from your reply that you do not thinks Notes is a good app for what I described?