Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
I had my iphone 6 plus stolen in hong kong.

it pretty much had my entire life on it and i keep it closely guarded at all times, except yesterday when i had a momentary lapse in judgement and forgot i had set it on a table.

the last time i backed it up was a month ago but since then ive amassed a large quantity of content and contacts.

is it possible to back up my phone to icloud remotely without having it in my possession?

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong

Did you report it to the Police in Hong Kong?

Where was the table that you left it, coffee shop, restaurant, retail shop in Hong Kong?

it pretty much had my entire life on it and i keep it closely guarded at all times, except yesterday when i had a momentary lapse in judgement and forgot i had set it on a table.

the last time i backed it up was a month ago but since then ive amassed a large quantity of content and contacts.

is it possible to back up my phone to icloud remotely without having it in my possession?

Nope.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Did you report it to the Police in Hong Kong?

yes i did. but what can they do really? i was so stressed out from the event that i didnt even notice they didnt give me a claim number or anything at the end. i also e-filed on their online report site here: http://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/02_er_room/

Where was the table that you left it, coffee shop, restaurant, retail shop in Hong Kong?

it was a retail store in tsim tsa shui . i notified them and i also notified their lost and found..

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

In your previous thread you started you mentioned the phone had not been back up since the beginning of the year. That was more than 1 month ago.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
In your previous thread you started you mentioned the phone had not been back up since the beginning of the year. That was more than 1 month ago.

yes i meant beginning of the year. i thought i had backed it up a month ago and unfortunately i did not.

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California

sorry man, it's unlikely that the cops can do anything on your stolen phone.
Look at the bright side, the new one is coming in a few weeks!

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Sucks your phone was stolen and you're going to lose all that info from not having a current backup.

Not making fun of you, but I hope you learnt that enabling iCloud backup is pretty important and why so many don't baffles me. With it enabled your phone backs up every time you plug it in to charge and is on known wifi. So pretty much any backup will be 1-2 days old at most and up to date.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you’ll have a copy of your information to use if your device is ever replaced, lost, or damaged. Backups let you transfer data from your last device to your new one.

Make a backup using iCloud
  1. Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
  2. In iOS 8 or later, tap Settings > iCloud > Backup.
    In iOS 7 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.
  3. Make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on.
    iphone6-ios8-backup_device-icloud.png
  4. Tap Back Up Now. Stay connected to your Wi-Fi network until the process completes.
  5. Make sure the backup finished by tapping Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage, and then select your device. The backup you just made should appear in the details with the time and backup size.
How does that address what is being asked and discussed in this thread?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.