Can I remotely connect to another mac by?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by letsdiscussit, Jul 1, 2008.

1. letsdiscussit macrumors newbie

letsdiscussit

... by actually seeing the desktop and remotely controlling the other computer?

I believe apple remote desktop is not what I am looking for since it seems that it is designed for administrators and expensive.

The reason, kind of funny, my mother drives me crazy with her incapability to use her computer. I am more trying to find a solution where I can just login, take over her computer and make the necessary changes and who thinks to solve the problem by just driving over to her house is wrong, 3000 miles separate us, sometimes I am happy about it.

2. WillMak macrumors 6502a

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Yeah I think that's your best option. I've used screen share on iChat to help a friend of mine with her computer issues and it works fine.

4. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

~/System/Library/Core Services/Screen Sharing.app

But only after you run these terminal commands and enable screen sharing in the host computer's preferences.

Edit: Never mind. This only works on local networks. iChat or Bosco's Screen Share is your best bet I think.

5. letsdiscussit thread starter macrumors newbie

letsdiscussit

6. letsdiscussit thread starter macrumors newbie

letsdiscussit

does this also work with Tiger and Leopard? Do I need a .mac (.me) account for that? ...

7. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

iChat screen sharing only works with the Leopard version of iChat. But you just need an AIM, .mac, or gmail account to screen share.

8. rippyz macrumors member

9. Caezar macrumors 6502

I use www.logmein.com provide remote support to my mother. I not not have speedy internet connection, but it nevertheless works relatively well.