Can I remove a system-created folder from my home folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by comics addict, Feb 16, 2014.

1. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I want to delete the Web folder that was created in my Home Folder when I clean installed OS X Mavericks and used Migration Assistant to migrate my user account, apps & settings to my Mac. When I originally created my account in Mavericks that folder wasn't there and I am what you call a minimalist on how I organize my computer. Tried sending it to the trash to no avail because it says that 'Mac OS X needs this folder'. Any terminal command that I can use to force delete it from my home folder ?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Don't mess with it. So when you first created an account the folder wasn't there. Then you did something that required stuff that's now in that folder, and the OS made it for you. Leave it alone. How much space is it taking up? What are the items inside it called? Do those items vary greatly in size?

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Read the first part there I bolded and then decide if Any terminal command that I can use to force delete it from my home folder? is the action of a rational person.

4. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Like I said that folder wasn't there before I reinstalled OS X and used Migration Assistant to move over my user account & files. So No I haven't done anything that saves to that folder and there is nothing there but then I am intrigued as to why it would show there when it has no purpose. That folder I remembered was created when Apple still bundled their iWeb app from the iLife suite. I only have the more recent version of those apps featured from the MAS (iPhoto, iMove, Garageband)

The only reason I would like to delete it is because I am sure that that warning is just OS X being a whiner more that anything else. :(

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I still have iWeb on Mavericks and I don't have that folder. Maybe you manually created it when you previously exported a web site from iWeb?

At any rate, make sure you have a good bootable backup like Time Machine before you do this in case it borks your system.

Run the command below in Terminal to delete the Web folder and its contents. This is not reversible. I am assuming here the Web folder is at the base of your users home folder like you mentioned. You will be asked for your admin password.

Code:
    sudo rm -rf ~/Web

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Here's a safer approach. In Terminal, type the command
    Code:
    chflags hidden ~/Web
    to make the folder disappear from Finder but still stay on the system. To make it visible again, type the command:
    Code:
    chflags nohidden ~/Web

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, you're not sure or you wouldn't be asking on a forum. Since you're not sure, leave it alone, or, as was suggested above, make a backup right before deleting the folder.

8. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok I followed your instructions but was having trouble deleting it from the finder windows because it turns out that Terminal called it Sites folder instead of Web as I thought ( I mainly use my Mac GUI in Spanish) but problem solved. Before doing anything made a Time Machine backup and then proceeded to use Terminal. Thanks for all your help guys. I save this thread for future reference. :D