Can I remove my bootcamp partition after migrating it to VMware Fusion?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AdamOAO, Feb 22, 2012.

1. AdamOAO, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Just want to make sure that I get the right info before I say for sure... :)

You indeed migrated the Windows machine off of the bootcamp partition to a standalone VM, and didn't just utilize Fusion to run the bootcamp partition in a VM correct?

If you definitely migrated it off, then yes, you can delete the partition as it's not used anymore. If you are running the partition from within Fusion and you delete it bad things will happen! Fusion will let you do either, hence the clarification.

3. AdamOAO, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013

AdamOAO thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Check how big the Windows VM file is under /Users/Your Name/Documents/Virtual Machines/

If its the correct size, aka, larger than like 1GB, then you've probably did it correctly.

5. jimmyi189 macrumors newbie

I've upgraded to windows 7 using parallel. Originally I installed Windows xp by partitioning my drive and using bootcamp. Now it seems that parallel loads windows xp with bootcamp and Windows 7. There are a few programs in XP I wanted to keep. Can I get rid of my partitioned drive to utilize that space? When I open my applications in mac osx I see a folder that parallel created that has all the programs in Windows xp bootcamp.

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I seem to recall that Microsoft offers a Windows 7 "windows xp virtual machine" for free download. If your XP programs will run under this emulator, you could reclaim the space you are using for Windows XP. You might search the Microsoft Windows web site for more information.