Can I remove my hard drive, install it in an external enclosure, and install OS X?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blownsphinctr, Jan 4, 2011.

1. blownsphinctr macrumors newbie

My MBP was recently squished in a motorcycle accident and its hard drive and superdrive were destroyed. Is it possible to buy a new hard drive, put it in an external USB 2.0 enclosure, then install OS X on it using the discs that came with my destroyed MBP in a different Mac, then put the hard drive into the squished computer and have it use that hard drive as its startup disk? The motherboard on the squished computer is fine, I just can't install OS X on it because it has a broken superdrive.

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

The disks that came with your Macbook Pro will only allow installation from a Macbook Pro. They are "model specific" I guess you would say. Otherwise yes you would be able to do that.

3. riyadc macrumors member

Yes, you can do that. I had a harddrive on my Macbook Air die and I installed OSX on a USB 2.0 Drive I had for a few weeks while I got a replacement internal drive. The only problem I remember having was that the laptop would crash if I put it in sleepmode and tried to wake it up.

4. mainomega macrumors 6502

Why don't you just use an external dvd drive or the MBA's super drive ? Install the new HD and run the install.

5. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

If you get a Firewire HD enclosure, and a cable then you can boot up using an external HD using the Target Disk Mode feature.