Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Earlier this year i had upgraded my MacBook 5'2 with a OWC mercury 500 gb 7200 rpm hard drive. Can i just remove this from my MacBook, and install it in the macbook pro? Anything i should be concerned about?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
As long as the OS version on there is at least the version the MBP came with, it will work. Make sure to run a Software Update after installing it in the MBP, to get the most recent drivers for it.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Yes the old one has the latest update of snow leopard. Thanks

Rithem

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
As long as the OS version on there is at least the version the MBP came with, it will work. Make sure to run a Software Update after installing it in the MBP, to get the most recent drivers for it.

This. It shouldn't be a problem.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Depends. Others have done it but it appears somewhat uncertain:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1001383/

Applecare tech's says not to do it because account permissions will be different from machine to machine. I'm tempted to try it anyway but don't want to run into problems down the road with various paid/certified applications and Windows 7 drivers etc. on the bootcamp side

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
i just got done doing. It took about 15 min, just b/c the macbook pro has about a dozen little screws to take out. So far no problems, everything seems to be working. When I went to check for updates, iworks had something, so that is downloading now. Other then that, everything else seems to be working flawlessly.

I'm loving this 17" screen ...

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
^let me know how that works out Doc.

The iWork update was unrelated to the new machine, it was just release a few days ago. Have you tried all of your applications and seen if they are O.K.? Also, did you have a bootcamp partition?

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
I'm runnings windows xp using parallels 5. I don't know why I keep it around, I never use it anything on there anymore. But yes i just checked and everything on the windows side is still working fine.

I just checked safari, firefox, handbrake, transmission, skype, skype, iChat, screenflow, peergaurdian, itunes, iworks, microsoft 2008. Everything opens up just fine. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.