Can I remove the optical drive from my 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omfgskyler, Jan 25, 2013.

1. omfgskyler macrumors newbie

Hey guys! I was wondering if it was possible to remove the optical drive from my MBP 13" early 2011. I'm thinking about changing my HDD to an SSD to make my MBP faster. I just upgraded the ram to 8GBs. I go to college in a year and honestly I would like to sell this for an air. I hate how heavy this is. But I thought maybe I could shed a little weight by removing the optical drive. Is that possible? Good idea? Bad?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yes you can - are you wanting to put just take it out and leave the spot empty or add another drive in the optical drive space?

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, that's entirely possible :) Just follow the instructions on the iFixiT guide the guy above posted.

4. omfgskyler thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually yeah. That'd be cool. Can I put an SSD in the normal spot and put in a 7200rpm HDD in the optical drive slot?

Btw all of you guys responded so quickly! Thanks!

I have an external blu-ray drive also, forgot to mention that.

----------

Thanks for the link! I didn't even think to ask about that! I would've been searching everywhere!

I quoted the guy above about how fast you guys were to responding! It's great!

Found out how to multi-quote right after I quoted the other guy haha.

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

That's how you should do it. You'll need something like the OWC Data Doubler, though.
    [​IMG]

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

7. kensic macrumors 6502

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

You'd save about 100 grams, at the most, which is a bit less than a quarter of a pound.

It's easily doable, but definitely not worth it for weight loss purposes.