Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omfgskyler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Hey guys! I was wondering if it was possible to remove the optical drive from my MBP 13" early 2011. I'm thinking about changing my HDD to an SSD to make my MBP faster. I just upgraded the ram to 8GBs. I go to college in a year and honestly I would like to sell this for an air. I hate how heavy this is. But I thought maybe I could shed a little weight by removing the optical drive. Is that possible? Good idea? Bad?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Yes you can - are you wanting to put just take it out and leave the spot empty or add another drive in the optical drive space?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Hey guys! I was wondering if it was possible to remove the optical drive from my MBP 13" early 2011. I'm thinking about changing my HDD to an SSD to make my MBP faster. I just upgraded the ram to 8GBs. I go to college in a year and honestly I would like to sell this for an air. I hate how heavy this is. But I thought maybe I could shed a little weight by removing the optical drive. Is that possible? Good idea? Bad?

Yeah, that's entirely possible :) Just follow the instructions on the iFixiT guide the guy above posted.

omfgskyler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Yes you can - are you wanting to put just take it out and leave the spot empty or add another drive in the optical drive space?

Actually yeah. That'd be cool. Can I put an SSD in the normal spot and put in a 7200rpm HDD in the optical drive slot?

Btw all of you guys responded so quickly! Thanks!

I have an external blu-ray drive also, forgot to mention that.

----------

Thanks for the link! I didn't even think to ask about that! I would've been searching everywhere!

I quoted the guy above about how fast you guys were to responding! It's great!

Found out how to multi-quote right after I quoted the other guy haha.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Can I put an SSD in the normal spot and put in a 7200rpm HDD in the optical drive slot?

That's how you should do it. You'll need something like the OWC Data Doubler, though.
51GKoRvIv%2BL._SS600_.jpg

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
Actually yeah. That'd be cool. Can I put an SSD in the normal spot and put in a 7200rpm HDD in the optical drive slot?

Btw all of you guys responded so quickly! Thanks!

I have an external blu-ray drive also, forgot to mention that.

yup, because the normal spot is sata3 connection and optical is only sata2 connection for ur model

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

You'd save about 100 grams, at the most, which is a bit less than a quarter of a pound.

It's easily doable, but definitely not worth it for weight loss purposes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.