Can I render a clip only to low quality? Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Stang68, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Hey everyone,

So I am putting together a sequence with lots of content coming off of ripped DVD's I have made in the past and the problem is that Final Cut Pro takes forever to render them on the timeline (they are the orange render color). Is there a way to render them just as blurry, low quality clips so that it doesnt take forever?

Thanks!

2. -DH macrumors 65816

It sounds like your main problem (FCP taking so long to render) is that you're not using the correct video format for your Sequence settings. You say the clips are ripped from DVDs ... what software are you using and what format are you converting to? If the format doesn't match your FCP Sequence settings, it will require rendering.

Ideally, you'd use MPEG Streamclip or DVDxDV to convert the DVD's VOB files into the format that matches what you need in FCP (non-commercial DVD content only). Software that convert to MPEG4 formats or other delivery codecs (such as Handbrake) are NOT what you want to use for this task.

As for your question about rendering, read up on the various render types (and how to work with them) in the FCP manuals.

-DH