Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philpug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Reno, Nv
I have a 2wire 3800hgv-b router that I am just using for Internet, we have no cable. Can I REPLACE this with a new Time Caspule and still use my Apple TV and not have a monthly rental for the box?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Only if the Time Capsule has a fiberoptic/DSL modem built into it.

No.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Do I have other options? Stand alone modem? Switch to a different provider? I have no emotional attachment to AT&T.

You could switch to cable Internet with your local cable TV provider. Then buy your own modem (like the Moto SB6141 for example) to avoid the modem rental fee with them. Then add the Time Capsule to the mix for your router/backups.

Philpug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Reno, Nv
You could switch to cable Internet with your local cable TV provider. Then buy your own modem (like the Moto SB6141 for example) to avoid the modem rental fee with them. Then add the Time Capsule to the mix for your router/backups.

Looks like this will solve my issues. Will this modem be faster than my uWire, or does it not matter?

sick z33

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2008
The Uverse gateway is junk. I am actually about to go to my parent's to disable the router features so its just a modem, and install a new Apple Extreme router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.