Can I replace current U-verse router with a Time Caspule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Philpug, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Philpug macrumors member

I have a 2wire 3800hgv-b router that I am just using for Internet, we have no cable. Can I REPLACE this with a new Time Caspule and still use my Apple TV and not have a monthly rental for the box?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Only if the Time Capsule has a fiberoptic/DSL modem built into it.

No.

3. Philpug thread starter macrumors member

Do I have other options? Stand alone modem? Switch to a different provider? I have no emotional attachment to AT&T.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You could switch to cable Internet with your local cable TV provider. Then buy your own modem (like the Moto SB6141 for example) to avoid the modem rental fee with them. Then add the Time Capsule to the mix for your router/backups.

5. Philpug thread starter macrumors member

Looks like this will solve my issues. Will this modem be faster than my uWire, or does it not matter?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It won't matter. The modem will give you whatever speed you are paying for from your provider.

7. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

There is often a way to turn off and bypass the router portion of a combination modem/router. Following is just the first example I found on a search: http://www.sbbala.com/uverse/

8. sick z33 macrumors 6502

The Uverse gateway is junk. I am actually about to go to my parent's to disable the router features so its just a modem, and install a new Apple Extreme router.