Can I replace iBook G3 CD drive with any notebook CD drive?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macnb, Jul 27, 2008.

1. macnb macrumors newbie

Hello.

I'd like to replace the CD drive that's in my iBook G3 (dual USB). Can I replace it with any laptop CD drive, or does it have to be built for iBooks?

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It can't be taller than what the iBook needs, and it has to have the same connector.

And Blu-ray won't play movies in OS X, but an iBook with a Blu-ray burner for data would be off several different hooks.

Heck, you can even put Blu-ray in a Pismo.

3. macnb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

...but what do you mean by "taller"? If you're talking about the best CD drive that the iBook (G3) can take, can you tell me what the best is? (I'm currently running OS 10.1.5, but I plan to install GNU/Linux once I'm sure of some things.)

Do you know what kind of connector the disk drive has?

I'm sorry, but I'm not up to speed regarding macs (this Mac was given to me and is my first one); I had no idea what a Pismo is (had to Google it).

I have no interest in playing Blu-rays, but I'd want to read/write to DVDs at the most, if possible.

I really want to know if I can take a laptop disk drive that is not Apple and install it in my iBook (as long as the connectors are right).

If this is a stupid question, please forgive me as I am under the impression that one is to buy Apple hardware for Apples (but I have heard of non-Apple hard drives in iBooks).

4. macnb thread starter macrumors newbie