Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lip5016

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
Hello.. I was wondering if I can replace MacBookPro8,2 (Late 2011) optical drive with an SSD 6G drive?

I currently have a 750gb 7200rpm (factory stock) hard drive in my Late 2011 MacBook Pro (8,2) .. I'm a little bit confused right now because I was looking into replacing the main, start-up disk with a 3rd-party internal SSD (Samsung 850 Pro - 512gb - 6G)..

I do music production full-time at the moment and really need the extra computing power to run large, plugin-intensive, CPU-intensive, maximum quality settings in Logic X, without it constantly crashing/overloading..

I was thinking that it would be really cool to replace my main, factory hard disk with the Samsung one (listed above), and then that it'd be even cooler to replace my SuperDrive with an additional SSD (so that I can put OSX + Logic X on the "main" drive, and then all my samples/less important, but frequently accessed information, on the 2nd SSD in the optical bay/SuperDrive slot)..

I'm a little confused because I read that some MacBook Pro's (8,2) DO accept a 6G SSD in the SuperDrive/optical bay, while some others don't.. but then again, I try to take everything I read on the internet with a grain of salt (lol..).. I've read that in the case that it doesn't have the proper connectors to take the "6G", that it can take a "3G" harddrive/solid state drive, instead..

I'd REALLY like to be able to get a 6G SSD in both bay's, so that I can get the MOST out of both drive's abilities.. but I'm having trouble finding out whether or not this is possible in my model MacBook Pro (8,2) (Late 2011)..

I went ahead and attached a screenshot of my MacBook Pro's specs (left column) for anyone that's more tech-savvy than myself.. Any ideas guys? Thanks! :)

Screen Shot.png

lip5016

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes the SSD controller is incompatible with the computer, but it is really only trial and error that can tell if you'd hit such a problem.

See the thing about buying expensive computer components is that the manufacturers/retailers don't really condone "trial and error".. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.