Can I replace my Iphone 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by poopmonkey, Mar 28, 2009.

1. poopmonkey macrumors newbie

I bought my iphone 3g 5 months ago and it stopped turning on this friday. I remembered I went to turn it off and the next day I tried to turn it on it would not do anything. I attempted to charge it and it did not respond. Would I be able to go to an Apple Store and get it replaced? I checked my warranty and it is still active till August 2009. Also, I am wondering what do I need to bring with me to the visit?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Have you tried resetting it by holding the power button and the home buttons together for about 15 seconds and seeing if an Apple pops up on the screen?

As long as there isn't any water and/or physical damage, the Genius Bar at an Apple store should be able to swap you for a working phone.

Genius Bars work by appointment. It's usually best practice to make one in advance before showing up in the store, although if you don't, they will sometimes make a "standby appointment" for you at the store, but that can sometimes take hours.

http://www.apple.com/retail/

Find your Apple Store on the link above, and then look for Reservations, and then Genius Bar.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ It's called a hard boot; just keep holding the home button and the sleep/wake or on/off button down until the silver apple appears, then release both buttons. If that fails, try starting up while plugged into your computer and have iTunes app up and running. If that fails then you are probably planning a trip to the Apple Store....

4. poopmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I tried that and nothing happened. I just don't understand what could have happened. Do i need to bring anything with me expect the phone? I had a hard time finding the serial number for this phone cause I couldn't boot into the phone so I needed to find it with recovery mode and system profiler. Would that someone stop me from getting this phone replaced?

5. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Go make an appointment with your Genius at a local Apple store. They'll handle the rest, just bring yourself and your iPhone :p

6. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

just bring the phone there. they will be able to tell if it is water damage. If it's not and they can't turn it on they will send it for repair and give you a loaner or just swap it on the spot.

7. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

No, and your Serial Number and IMEI number should be printed on the SIM tray. Just eject it with a paperclip or the Apple SIM removal tool (fancy paperclip) and remove the SIM from the plastic tray and you should find both numbers.

As long as it is not Liquid Damaged or physically broken, Apple should just replace it with an Apple refurbished iPhone 3G. Why do you think that it would not be covered by the warranty?

Dave

8. poopmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds Great Guys! Really thanks for the help. I really hope I can get a replacement. Well, I about to make a appointment and why does the apple store have such short deadlines. I mean I try to make a appointment for next week for wednesday or thursday and they do not have those days yet. Just monday and tuesday.

9. poopmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I broke my original sim tray once. I dropped it one day and accidently ran over it with a desk chair, when I went to go look for it. I have a replacement one in it now that is completely blank. Could be a problem?

10. Tsar Chasm macrumors newbie

Just go to the store. They'll either help you or they won't. The only reason not to do that is if the phone has been reported stolen.

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Swapping a defective iPhone is a quick, easy process.

12. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Uh-O

Just be sure you didn't jailbreak it. Or your screwed.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just be aware that your Serial Number is now located on your SIM card tray, so replacement may take awhile once they verify that the iPhone actually belongs to you, and that it is operating with the AT&T carrier....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

14. poopmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

See that might be a problem because I bought this iphone 3g off of ebay. The iphone was unlocked and all I had to do is pop in a working sim and it worked just fine. So I guess I won't be able to replace it since I didn't get it with AT&T? I did try to restore through DFU mode and itunes did restore it but the iphone is still dead.