Can I replace my iPhone 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thecoolone1, Jun 21, 2009.

1. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

Well, I purchased a iPhone 3G White 16GB off eBay and there was a few noticeable cracks and I heard you can get them replaced if those cracks fall in the right spot where most occurs. Which I have one on the vibrate switch and on the back of the phone.

My question is, if it's still under warranty (until October) could I get it replaced by Apple even if I DON'T have at&t service? To be honest I don't have any service with any wireless carrier at the time. I do have a at&t sim card for GoPhone pay as you go service but I'm not under a contract, just using pay as you go.

What are my options? I figured I would be able to get it replaced since it's under warranty but the thing I'm stuck on is don't they verify the phone number and etc... to do the activation of the new replacement they give you? I think they do and that's where I'm stuck.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

when i went to return my iphone and get a replacement for cracks they didnt have to run an activation. they just took out my sim after running a diagnostic on my phone and then went in the back and got another phone (it was a refurb but the white iphones have been having problems with cracking. ) but they didnt have to check a phone number or whatever on at&t's end becuase it was an apple store and they just checked the serial number ( might have problems there but im not sure how they would tell.... usually they can pull up the account by the serial number)

3. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

All you can do is go to an apple store and try, it never hurts. I dont see why they wouldnt replace it as long as its still under warranty.

4. thecoolone1 thread starter macrumors regular

Could I try mail in Service if they allow me to? I'm like over 2 hours away from an Apple Store. Some parts of Texas are just in the middle of nowhere ;) lol

5. daryliow macrumors regular

I have to get a boat to my apple store which costs money and a lot of time/distance. Do apple cover products on warranty by post or phone?

I live in the UK by the way.

Thanks

6. thecoolone1 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I called 4 different Retail Stores and also called the 1-800 # and all of the reps said the same thing. They said even though I'm not in contract BUT as long as I'm in warranty I can get the phone replaced but ALSO the cracks have to be in the common areas (ex. around vibrate switch, headphone jack, and etc..) :D

7. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I was on the website the other day. Seems you can post things in. Look around the support page of their website for more info.