Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
US
Could I replace a macbook screen (I am getting a macbook with a broken screen in a few days that works, but needs a replacement otherwise.

I was wondering if this is compatible

LTD133EX3X, LTD133EX2X from a Sony Vaio.

I know that other LTD133E --- models are compatible, i'm just not sure which ones and if I could use one of these. They look the same, same type i think and same resolution, but matte (which is my goal) but I'm not sure if teh cables will match up or anything else.

Has anyone done this successfully or knows about any mods i'd have to make to make them work or if it's even possible?

I've replaced screens before and have taken apart my fair share of macbooks, but I have only used other screens that I KNOW were in apple macbooks before etc. I know someone replaced a screen with a matte screen here a while back, but they never found out the part number.

Any help would be appreciated... or a link to a compatible matte model if this one posted (from a sony vaio) wouldn't work.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
It is possible to change laptop screens, Ive heard of people replacing them with higher res lcd's. I cant remember if it was a mac or PC though, and I remember them saying that its difficult to find a screen that would fit since it has to be perfect, its also not for the faint of heart.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
US
Like I said in my original post, i know that I can replace a screen, I've done it before on macbooks a few times, but was always with screens that I knew worked (ie were in other macbooks before) I was wondering if the model listed above would be compatible or not or if i'd have to mod the connections to make it work like someone mentioned here last year.

Any ideas anyone?

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
US
yeah, i read that thread... but it doesn't help with the compatibility problem. Has anyone replaced a macbook screen with a matte panel that actually has a part number for it or how to do a mod to a specific matte panel to make it work?

I know someone did this and i read the thread here about it, but the OP of that thread in 2007 didn't have a part number, just the first few numbers which coincide with the ones for mine, but not the end.

that's my problem.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
US
any thoughts at all anyone? Does anyone have the least idea if the screen noted from a sony vaio will work in a macbook or what other 13.3 MATTE screen will work in a macbook and where to get one?

any suggestions would be great great great. I am going to refinish the case of the macbook i'm putting a new screen in and would love to have a matte screen to go with the matte finish and be better for color clarity (no debates on matte vs glossy pleaseeee) :)

alep85

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
any thoughts at all anyone? Does anyone have the least idea if the screen noted from a sony vaio will work in a macbook or what other 13.3 MATTE screen will work in a macbook and where to get one?

any suggestions would be great great great. I am going to refinish the case of the macbook i'm putting a new screen in and would love to have a matte screen to go with the matte finish and be better for color clarity (no debates on matte vs glossy pleaseeee) :)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/267104/

This one is more along the lines of what you are looking for. This is the only person I know who has succeeded in doing this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.