Can I replace my old G4 HD with another old HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Annieocean, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Annieocean macrumors newbie

Can I replace my old G4 hard drive with another older Hard drive so that I can still utilize my old Illustrator & photoshop programs?

I just can't afford a new computer at this time, my G4 was purchased about 7 years ago new - and if I put a new HD in it will not work with my old Mac OS 9 system and the programs I am using.

My Hard drive is making awful sounds, like a time bomb and continual crashing, freezing and spitting up blood. I took it to a Mac Superstore, and for $75 I was told there was nothing wrong with it. Plus, it took them 3 weeks to get it back to me. (clearly I'm annoyed).

So, basically my question is: where can I purchase an old Hard drive for my old Mac G4 Tower ?

Thanks all.
    Annie

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I don't get it... why wouldn't a new hard drive work with your applications? An old hard drive and a new hard drive are going to be the same thing in the eyes of the computer - a blank hard drive.

3. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

1. Do you have your installation disks so you can install an operating system on a new hard drive?

2. Do you have the application installation disks (photoshop etc.)?

3. Any IDE hard drive should work just fine. You can pick one up at a store like BestBuy or Staples, or you can order one from a place like Newegg.com

4. Annieocean thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone!

I guess for some reason (unknown to me) I thought that a new hard drive wouldn't allow me to utilitze my old programs and operating system. I do have the programs and can re-install them. So if that would work fine, then I'm going to order one right now.

5. Annieocean thread starter macrumors newbie

Still having trouble..

Still having trouble...I tried the Newegg.com website, no IDE Mac HD with 500 GB.Tried Tiger computer website, nothing there. Now I'm on hold forever on the Mac website. Why is it so hard to find a IDE mac HD?

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

any ide hard drive will work. you can just format it to mac. but then again the g4s will only read up to 128gb in hdd.

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It does not have to be Mac specific. It does have to be under 128 GB for that particular computer, unless you pick up a new PCI card.

I would suggest a Sonnet SATA card and a nice SATA drive, which can be as big as the biggest SATA drive you can find.